• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Bigby's Big Book of Giants

dave2008

Legend
The free adventure on D&D Beyond gives the stats of several creatures that are in the book I believe:
Cinder Hulk
Firbolg Wanderer
Fire Giant Forgecaller
Fire Giant of Evil Fire

I find the Forgecaller and the Fire Rune mechanics interesting. It is a pretty simple yet interesting CR 18 monster. If this is a preview of the 2024 MM, then that book could be quite interesting.

pukunui

Legend
Isn't that an alternate telling of the First World myth? It doesn't exactly jive with the dragon's version.

The story is unusual among the sagas of the giants in its description of Annam’s deeds “in time’s dawning.” It boldly claims Annam collected the fragments of the First World—the original world of the Material Plane, created by the primordial dragons Bahamut and Tiamat—and contributed in some way to their transformation into the Material Plane as it exists today with its myriad worlds.

Seems more additive than alternative to me.

dave2008

Legend
The story is unusual among the sagas of the giants in its description of Annam’s deeds “in time’s dawning.” It boldly claims Annam collected the fragments of the First World—the original world of the Material Plane, created by the primordial dragons Bahamut and Tiamat—and contributed in some way to their transformation into the Material Plane as it exists today with its myriad worlds.

Seems more additive than alternative to me.
Yes, but an addition is an alternative version.

pukunui

Legend
Yes, but an addition is an alternative version.
We're most likely just splitting hairs here -- but for me, an alternative myth would've been presented more along the lines of "Yo, the dragons were wrong. It actually happened like this ...".

This feels more like a 'yes, and' sort of thing ... "Hey, so the dragons may have created the First World, but after they broke it, we helped to reshape the pieces into the multiverse you see all around you today ..."

Last edited:

pukunui

Legend
They have implied that the Noble Fomorians replace Eldritch Giants, IIRC: they seem to be big Elves?
Yes, their description states that they "resemble gigantic elves". Other than that and a predilection for arcane magic (they have the Wizard tag and can cast some spells), I'm not seeing that much of a connection with the eldritch giants of old.

Remove ads