• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Bigby's Big Book of Giants

Yes, their description states that they "resemble gigantic elves". Other than that and a predilection for arcane magic (they have the Wizard tag and can cast some spells), I'm not seeing that much of a connection with the eldritch giants of old.
Considering that fomorians are classically tied to Irish folklore, I'm not surprised to see them serving double duty as a go-to kind of "Feywild giant" paralleling death giants as the go-to "Shadowfell giant". In that context, I don't think seeing them as the spiritual successors to eldritch giants is particularly off base, especially since we're also getting a bunch of rune magic wielding giants and giant scions to beef up the "high magic" capabilities of the standard Material Plane giants as well.

Eldritch giants were fundamentally just "magic giants", and the current paradigm has that covered from a number of different directions.

Last edited:

Any new art for firbolgs (I assume there will be in the bestiary at least)? The one in Volo's/MotM is the only 5e illustration of one that I know about, and I'm curious if they've gone with the same style or something more like previous editions (or both).

pukunui

Legend
Any new art for firbolgs (I assume there will be in the bestiary at least)? The one in Volo's/MotM is the only 5e illustration of one that I know about, and I'm curious if they've gone with the same style or something more like previous editions (or both).
The primeval warden and the wanderer both get their own illustration. There may be other firbolgs in the book as well. I haven't looked through the whole thing yet.

Yes, their description states that they "resemble gigantic elves". Other than that and a predilection for arcane magic (they have the Wizard tag and can cast some spells), I'm not seeing that much of a connection with the eldritch giants of old.

Noble Formorians (the uncursed ones), have the purple skin and magic and feywild connection (gained in 4e) of the Eldritch Giants. Perhaps those Formorians those didn't become the cursed Formorians became Eldritch Giants instead.

Sadly no Eldritch Titans.

What's the story of the Noble Formorians, like how did they avoid being cursed like the others? What kind of society do they have?

pukunui

Legend
Noble Formorians (the uncursed ones), have the purple skin and magic and feywild connection (gained in 4e) of the Eldritch Giants. Perhaps those Formorians those didn't become the cursed Formorians became Eldritch Giants instead.

Sadly no Eldritch Titans.

What's the story of the Noble Formorians, like how did they avoid being cursed like the others? What kind of society do they have?
They are not connected to the Feywild. They moved to the Inner Planes before Karontor pushed their brethren to invade the Feywild and thus unwittingly avoided the curse. They are ambitious, arrogant, inquisitive, and power-hungry, and that's about all we get. As the fomorians aren't part of the ordning, they aren't the "focus" of the book, so there isn't much info about them.

mamba

Legend
1690928985936.png
1690928999771.png

Remove ads