Black Widow

Ryujin

Legend
This may be considered a "hot take", but I actually think that Infinity War is the best ending point for the MCU. As long as you're okay with downer endings (which, clearly, I am) it makes for a much more solid conclusion of the series. For every moment of character and plot development that Endgame has, it backtracks on another one (or more). And no super hero story has ever been made better with time travel.
I would tend to agree with that. There's nothing wrong with the heroes losing in the end, after a hard fought battle. For me, "Endgame" has one big flaw. Sure, I enjoyed it, but it highlights the fact that in the modern world of comics, death isn't final. Ever.

Last edited:

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
I would tend to agree with that. There's nothing wrong with the heroes losing in the end, after a hard fought battle. For me, "Endgame" has one big flaw. Sure, I enjoyed it, but it highlights the fact that in the modern world of comics, death isn't final. Ever.
Wow, have to disagree. Deux ex Machina death as a plot point isn't permanent I can buy. But so far MCU has had two meaningful hero deaths - Gamora and Natasha - and they definitely feel like final death.

The only other meaningful "death" was Cap at the end of his first movie, but that's told within the framing story of finding his frozen body. The characters thought Steve was going to die at the end, and say their goodbyes, but we know differently.

EDIT: And OMG how could I forget Tony's death? That also felt very final and hasn't been reversed.

Last edited:

Ryujin

Legend
Wow, have to disagree. Deux ex Machina death as a plot point isn't permanent I can buy. But so far MCU has had two meaningful hero deaths - Gamora and Natasha - and they definitely feel like final death.

The only other meaningful "death" was Cap at the end of his first movie, but that's told within the framing story of finding his frozen body. The characters thought Steve was going to die at the end, and say their goodbyes, but we know differently.
And yet Gamora is apparently coming back for "Guardians of the Galaxy Volume 3." Prequel? Flashback? Don't think so. It's convenient to leave Black Widow dead, because her contract is done. Then there's that little lawsuit thing. Chris Evans's contract is also up.

Retreater

Legend

Groot. That one gets me.

ART!

Deluxe Unhuman
If a character's death is meaningful and compelling to me in the moment, cool. If they're brought back later in a way that doesn't challenge my willingness to believe too much, and has compelling dramatic results, cool. I'm there for the drama.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
And yet Gamora is apparently coming back for "Guardians of the Galaxy Volume 3." Prequel? Flashback? Don't think so. It's convenient to leave Black Widow dead, because her contract is done. Then there's that little lawsuit thing. Chris Evans's contract is also up.
Citation please. We know there's a different Gamora from the other Thanos' timeline around. Who's a distinctly different person.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
And yet Gamora is apparently coming back for "Guardians of the Galaxy Volume 3." Prequel? Flashback? Don't think so.

Nope. It is Gamora from an alternate timeline, who came along with the Thanos from that timeline to fight in that final battle, even they'd already killed one.

It's convenient to leave Black Widow dead, because her contract is done. Then there's that little lawsuit thing. Chris Evans's contract is also up.

Yes, well the actors are still human beings. Superhero movies are mostly a young person's game, because the phsycial regimen required is grueling. Hemsworth has noted that his time too will come soon, because even while he seems a natural at the workout, he recognizes that his body will eventually no longer be able to keep up.

Ryujin

Legend
Nope. It is Gamora from an alternate timeline, who came along with the Thanos from that timeline to fight in that final battle, even they'd already killed one.

Yes, well the actors are still human beings. Superhero movies are mostly a young person's game, because the phsycial regimen required is grueling. Hemsworth has noted that his time too will come soon, because even while he seems a natural at the workout, he recognizes that his body will eventually no longer be able to keep up.
I bet that Hemsworth was very happy to wear the fat suit for a while, no matter how hot it got.

I'm quite enjoying the Steve Rogers/Mr. Rogers meme that the movie generated.

I'm honestly more excited for the future projects at this point.
The TV shows have been some of the best things Marvel have done.

I can't remember looking forward to a film more than Dr Strange and the multiverse of madness and I'll take as many Taika Waititi Thor movies as I can get.

Throw into that the casting choices of:

Mahershala Ali as Blade
Kit Harington as The Black Knight
Oscar Isaac as Moon Knight

This is all before Marvel even get to their biggest properties The Fantastic 4 and the X-men

EDIT: And OMG how could I forget Tony's death? That also felt very final and hasn't been reversed.
Phil Coulson? The TV series not withstanding.

Remove ads