Black Widow

Stalker0

Legend
So if you want my one real complaint with the movie I’ll go to spoilers:

Taskmaster is criminally underused in this movie. With such a cool and unique power I was hoping for some really interesting fights…watching nat fight “Hawkeye” than “cap” than “black panther” kind of thing.

but no fights are extremely short with just a few moves. Hell if they had removed taskmaster from the movie I probably wouldn’t have cared.

and my one nitpick in this movie…gravity. There is a scene early in the morning where nat falls off a building and hits several scaffolding’s on the way down….hard, and they make it sound hard and brutal. She gets up without a scratch…which was just a bit much for our “mortal avenger”

Last edited:

Ryujin

Legend
Loki is well done. Thanos is less so.

Thanos' plan doesn't hold up to 30 seconds of scrutiny. Which is fine, if you make it clear he really is the "Mad Titan". But they don't do that.
Loki is a villain, with hopes, desires, and motivations. Thanos is more like a force of nature; it's going to happen and there's no reasoning with it.

Steampunkette

Rules Tinkerer and Freelance Writer
Supporter
Saw it in theater as a Matinee yesterday.

It was good? Nothing thrilling or crazy great. I thought the actress portraying Yelena did a fantastic job of providing pathos and developing her storyline which will, of course, continue into the next leg of the MCU. The rest of the acting was pretty good and it's nice to see Natasha in form as a spy and stuff rather than just tagging along with superheroes.

Taskmaster was presented as a real and realistic threat, though once again the Marvel Directors forget what Superstrength is on the Red Guardian, who does a bunch of absolutely great stuff with David Harbour's marvelous screen presence... but ultimately he winds up looking like he's either a trash fighter or massively pulling his punches because his fight scenes don't involve people getting punched across rooms constantly.

The twists are really nice and strong when they show up. I feel like acknowledging there's twists in a spy movie isn't really a spoiler, but I'm not going to elucidate on them except that I think they were well executed. I sincerely did not see two of them coming. There's also some nice notes dropped here and there across the movie which are pretty great and indicate either some Multiverse Shenanigans, Time Travel Shenanigans, or False Identity Shenanigans which I'm -here- for...

Overall it was pretty good. Kind of like every Marvel movie has to be. And it very nicely sets up the new Black Widow going forward.

Stalker0

Legend
Which is fine, if you make it clear he really is the "Mad Titan". But they don't do that.
That’s part of why I enjoyed thanos, he’s not the stereotypical crazy person, but he is still quite mad.

As you say, anyone can pick the flaws in his plan, and yet he carries it forward with absolute conviction. But more than that, he truly believes the universe will thank him for it!!!

i mean that’s nuts…because thanos is nuts. But he’s functionally nuts, and extremely charismatic…a very dangerous combination. He’s more like a cult leader.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
That’s part of why I enjoyed thanos, he’s not the stereotypical crazy person, but he is still quite mad.

I don't require him to be stereotypical, especially because stereotypical movie maddess is insulting to folks who suffer mental illness. I don't require that Thanos himself act in a wacky-clown-nose manner. That'd be dumb.

I need someone in the movie to point out that HIS PLAN WON'T WORK. That would demonstrate that he's mad. Unfortunately, not a single person mentions this fact, so he ends up presenting not as mad, but fanatical, which is a different beast.

pukunui

Legend
So I took my younger two daughters to see it this afternoon.

I'm still processing, and I would like to see it again, but not in the theater. I'll wait till it's out of premium access on Disney+.

As a father of three daughters, I was pleased that they got to watch a movie full of women kicking some serious butt. I hope that this movie does well enough at the box office to show the old white dudes in Hollywood that women can indeed carry an action movie. My daughters need more movies like this one.

If I had to find a fault with the movie, it's that they went with the whole "ensemble of bad-ass women plus a dopey man" routine.

Last edited:

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
My family watched it today. I think we mostly enjoyed it. I liked it, but it wasn't anything remarkable for an MCU movie. I really liked the backstory part of the movie, as I thought that was really good, but the rest of it was kinda . . . just fine. Absolutely watchable, it's great that we finally have a movie for Black Widow (we need more well-made female-led superhero movies!), and it was thoroughly enjoyable, but it wasn't anything special and I was disappointed by some parts of it (Taskmaster being underused, so many good/serious moments being interrupted by an action scene or joke, the characters seeming invincible, and the physics-breaking 3rd act).

So, yeah, it was fine. I liked it (as is typical with the MCU), but it wasn't amazing.

DammitVictor

Trust the Fungus
Supporter
I'm calling it in the top half of the MCU-- which is not faint praise!-- but not top shelf. What was good was very, very good but the parts that didn't land dragged the whole thing down a bit.

Enjoyed it, would watch it again, some nice minor twists & turns and a Bourne / Mission Impossible / James Bond type vibe with touches of humour as well as some dark moments, three point eight recurring out of five?

Remove ads