• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Blade Ward cantrip

Paraxis

Explorer
If the duration was changed to concentration (1 minute) it would be an ok cantrip. Giving up your action to cast it, and taking up your concentration would be limiting enough.

trentonjoe

Explorer
I don't think there are any concentration cantrips. I think that was one of their "rules".

Also, does the EK get a attack and cats a cantrip as a bonus action ability? This might be a good spell for them.

Zaukrie

New Publisher
Right, giving up your action for this seems bad. I took it when in a hurry to build a character. I plan to be rid of it soon.

Paraxis

Explorer
I don't think there are any concentration cantrips. I think that was one of their "rules".

Also, does the EK get a attack and cats a cantrip as a bonus action ability? This might be a good spell for them.

Yes EK's and valor bards can gain some situational use, it still doesn't explain why it is on the warlock or sorcerer spell lists except as trap options.

marcelos

First Post
If the duration was changed to concentration (1 minute) it would be an ok cantrip. Giving up your action to cast it, and taking up your concentration would be limiting enough.

Nice idea. I mean, if the wizard gets hit he will have to make a save to keep concentrating, so it seems fair.

Scorpio616

First Post
It can be situational, but it's plenty useful if you are not starved for spell slots. Also all foes have an easy time of getting advantage called Push besides actual monster abilities so dodge isn't infallible. Blade ward is a sometimes spell when it feels like a horde of low CR foes all want to play "Kill the Mage".

Last edited:

MortalPlague

Adventurer
I pictured it as the spell the wizard casts when suddenly six orcs appear from behind and he needs to get to safety. He can cast the cantrip and run, trying to get back to the rest of his party.

Not saying it's a great cantrip by any stretch, but it could save your life in the right circumstance.

marcelos

First Post
I pictured it as the spell the wizard casts when suddenly six orcs appear from behind and he needs to get to safety. He can cast the cantrip and run, trying to get back to the rest of his party.

Not saying it's a great cantrip by any stretch, but it could save your life in the right circumstance.

Wouldn't it be better to dash then? Better to have 30 feet more between you and them?

Remove ads