• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Blade Ward cantrip

brehobit

Explorer
In combination with Armor of Agathys it is pretty good. Especially against mindless opponents. Better than Dodge by a long ways.

Not a common case, but it isn't useless for a Warlock.

Stalker0

Legend
Seems like the best use for this is the "kick in the door scenario".

Party is behind a door, about to break in to a room full of baddies. Put blade ward up, so that the first round you have resistance

It's heavily situational, which I think is ok, if you're willing to spend your cantrip slot on that. I don't know how it could be made better without also being made mandatory-level good.

Zaukrie

New Publisher
I almost used it.....I was going to cast it, walk onto a group of mooks, then next round cast that first level spell that has arms of force within 10.....but was not sure i could take 8 attacks even with resistance.

marcelos

First Post
It's heavily situational, which I think is ok, if you're willing to spend your cantrip slot on that. I don't know how it could be made better without also being made mandatory-level good.

Exactly my problem. Someone suggested to turn the duration to concentration 1 minute, but this would turn this cantrip into obligatory buff for every mage.

I am thinking about turning it to concentration, but you lose the spell as soon as you take any weapon damage (no CON check).

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
I've got a valor bard who has made occasional use of it. It's a good defensive option when you actually want to drop the damage you take, such as when your HP have been walloped on or when you're about to be the target of a dozen slings and arrows.

Shadowdweller00

Adventurer
Dodge, unlike, Blade Ward, does not work against enemies you can't see or while one's movement is reduced to 0. So Blade Ward has the benefit of functioning while grappled, restrained, blinded, against hidden or invisible foes, and/or while in heavy obscurement (such as magical darkness). I expect there ARE actually a set of attack bonuses and armor classes at which a 50% damage reduction IS actually better than disadvantage on attack rolls. Though I have not done the math and thus do not know how practical such situations really are. Nor how threatening.

But, yes, dodge will be better in most cases.

Last edited:

Klaus

First Post
I've got a valor bard who has made occasional use of it. It's a good defensive option when you actually want to drop the damage you take, such as when your HP have been walloped on or when you're about to be the target of a dozen slings and arrows.

Yeah, halving damage also reduces the chance of dropping to 0hp and rollover damage hitting your instant death threshold.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads