• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Blade Ward cantrip

Tao_Tzu

Explorer
Here's what I've been using in my game:

BLADE WARD

Abjuration cantrip

Casting Time: 1 action
Range: Self
Components: V, S
Duration: 1 round

You extend your hand and trace a sigil of warding in the air, creating a circle of spectral blades that surround you. Until the end of your next turn, you can use your reaction to reduce the damage of any melee or ranged attack by 1d6 + your spellcasting ability modifier. In addition, whenever a creature within 5 feet of you attacks you, they must succeed on a Dexterity saving throw or take 1d6 force (or slashing) damage.

It's basically Sword Burst with a Parry-like effect that uses up your reaction. Feel free to use it.

Ganymede81

First Post
The cantrip would be a bit more useful if it applied to all sources of damage.

That way, you could cast it before you attempt to dive through a spinning blade trap, etc.

Aside from that, it would be cool if someone like an Abjurer could cast this spell as a bonus action.

If the duration was changed to concentration (1 minute) it would be an ok cantrip. Giving up your action to cast it, and taking up your concentration would be limiting enough.

The problem with that is that stoneskin exists. Yes, it lasts an hour and, yes, that's a touch spell, but it's also 4th level, cost 100gp per casting, still requires concentration, and doesn't help against magical weapons at all. Yes, stoneskin in 5e is spectacularly awful.

The best use I've ever seen for blade ward is for the Eldritch Knight once they get War Magic at 7th. And... it's still not worth it.

If I were to modify blade ward, I'd add the line, "Additionally, you may take the Dodge action as a bonus action this turn."

Satyrn

First Post
The cantrip would be a bit more useful if it applied to all sources of damage.

That way, you could cast it before you attempt to dive through a spinning blade trap, etc.
I would be surprised if a DM ruled that the spinning blades of that trap wasn't a weapon attack.

Well, not surprised. Dumbfounded.

Tao_Tzu

Explorer
You could just house rule it so the resistance also applies to mechanical traps. I don't think most GMs would have a problem with that. It's one of those common sense things. Saying that it would protect against falling damage probably wouldn't cut the mustard, but the damage caused by spikes, spinning blades, or concealed darts (and other ammunition) would be fine. It would still be rather weak and situational (compared to the Dodge action, which some classes can do as a bonus action at higher levels), but that would make it a bit better.

Ganymede81

First Post
I would be surprised if a DM ruled that the spinning blades of that trap wasn't a weapon attack.

Well, not surprised. Dumbfounded.

It is a gray area.

For instance, in Curse of Strahd's Death House, there are doors that are barred with spinning blade traps. They inflict damage from failed saving throws as opposed to attack rolls, so aren't really attacks. When I ran it, I was prepared to rule that Blade Ward would work against those and similar traps, but the players never thought to do that so it never came up.

GuyLomBard-O

First Post
@Bacon Bits:

I know this cantrip isn't fantastic, but it seems like a combination of Blade Ward, Fire Shield, and Spiritual Weapon can keep my 14th-level Valor Bard upright and alive, without sacrificing his sole concentration-spell, when cornered or trapped by one of the melee-murder classes (Fighter/Paladin/Barbarian). Maybe possibly even make the melee attacker regret his decision? Con Resilience Feat and damage resistance means the Bard might even be able to keep his battlefield-control concentration spells functional during the assault.

Admittedly, that's a whole lot of spell slots to use up on self-defense. Running is obviously far superior, if possible. But some of those barbarians are just so darn FAST!

By the way, I really like your idea of the bonus Dodge that round. A nice, measured improvement, without being crazy OP.

Last edited:

Toledo

Explorer
I'm now playing in two campaigns (Eldritch Knight, Battlemaster - both elves), and I used my free cantrip on Blade Ward for both.

I was told it wasn't a good choice, but in my last game, it saved me. I was third level (36 HP) and a bunch of fey dryad types ambushed us. I was able to cast my Blade Ward cantrip before they reached our lines. I had been doing this strategy before most battles, and the other players at the table were beginning to laugh at my character a bit.

No more are they laughing at me - when enemy reached us and attacked first, the first dryad did 24 points of damage and the second did 12. Without Blade Ward I would have dropped. My party in that game is a paladin, monk, bard and rogue, so not a lot of healing once we drop.

My fighter killed one and did the majority of the damage on another dryad, without dropping. We might not have won if my fighter had went down, so Blade Ward worked out okay.

(Although I would have casted Protection from Good and Evil if I had any slots left.)

The problem with that is that stoneskin exists. Yes, it lasts an hour and, yes, that's a touch spell, but it's also 4th level, cost 100gp per casting, still requires concentration, and doesn't help against magical weapons at all. Yes, stoneskin in 5e is spectacularly awful.

The best use I've ever seen for blade ward is for the Eldritch Knight once they get War Magic at 7th. And... it's still not worth it.

Oh, come on, really?

Blade Ward is fine. It's at its best when you've got Armor of Agathys V up, to double the amount of damage you inflict with the spell, but it's also just fine whenever you're grappled or restrained and are waiting for the rest of the party to kill whatever's got you (e.g. 5th level wizard grabbed by giant octopus or giant toad), when you've got a high probability of being hit (e.g. 5th level wizard facing an Iron Golem), or when the enemy is invisible (5th level wizard vs. Invisible Stalker). In all of those cases, Blade Ward is clearly superior to Dodge, and if the math is right (other PCs have high aggregate DPR, and you're occupying the majority of the enemy's attacks/attention) it is also superior to attacking.

jgsugden

Legend
Balance options that make it better, but not too good (these are alternatives added to the existing spell):

1.) Make the duration 3 rounds (concentration).
2.) Make the casting time a bonus action, but don't allow it to be cast if you've moved this turn, and have it end if you move.
3.) Make the casting time a reaction based upon being attacked - have it last until the start of your next turn.
4.) As a reaction, you inflict (ability score modifier) radiant damage on an adjacent target that misses you with an attack.
5.) Damage resisted is added to the damage inflicted on one target of your choice that is damaged by the next spell you cast before the end of your next turn.
6.) A target that misses you with a melee weapon must make a Wisdom save versus your spell DC or their weapon flies from their grasp and travels (d4-1) spaces in a random (d8) direction (1 forward, 2 forward and right diagonally, 3 right, etc...)

Remove ads