• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[Blast] and [Transmute]

Cheiromancer

Adventurer
This was the last version posted on the big thread. Before we got distracted by other things, including getting a list of monsters together and building some benchmark characters (I should put Matt and Jake and Bruce in another thread). Stylistically we should decide whether we are going to say "you" or "the caster" in the seed descriptions. I vote for "you" - it means fewer instances of "his or her".

See next post for current version.

[sblock][Blast]
Evocation [Acid, Cold, Electricity or Fire]

Root Spell: Delayed blast fireball, lightning bolt
Spellcraft Prerequisite: 24
Preferred Mitigation: Backlash
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: 1200 ft.
Area or Effect: Up to a 480 ft. line, or up to a 80-ft. radius spread; see text.
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: Reflex half
Spell Resistance: Yes

This seed uses whichever one of four basic energy types you choose: acid, cold, electricity, or fire. You may cast the energy forth as a line or a spread. The energy type and area are set during spell development. At the moment of casting you may choose to reduce the size of the size of the blast area to a minimum of a 120 ft. line or a 20-ft. radius spread.

If a spell is developed which has a smaller blast area, decrease the Spellcraft Prerequisite by 3 for every 120 ft. the line is shortened or for each 20 ft. the radius is reduced. If the size of the blast cannot be changed at the time of casting, decrease the Spellcraft Prerequisite by 2. These changes to the Spellcraft Prerequisite stack.

Factor: To develop a spell which allows the energy type and blast shape to be selected at the moment of casting, increase the Spellcraft Prerequisite by +4.

Factors: You may choose to develop a spell which discharges another type of damaging energy. The options and the associated costs are as follows:
• Sonic energy (+4 SP). The spell receives the [sonic] descriptor.
• Slashing, piercing or bludgeoning (+6 SP). This damage bypasses Damage Reduction. To have the spell damage interact with Damage Reduction as a magical weapon of the appropriate type, reduce the SP modifier to +4. If the damage will be treated as a non-magical weapon of the appropriate type, reduce the SP modifier to +2.
• Force damage (+6 SP). The spell receives the [force] descriptor. Force damage affects incorporeal and ethereal creatures, but not objects; to include objects, increase the Spellcraft Prerequisite by an additional +1.
• Typeless (+8). The spell loses the energy descriptor. The damage is of no particular type, and is not subject to resistance or energy immunity.​
A spell developed using the [energy] seed releases a bolt or spread which deals 20d6 points of damage of the appropriate energy type, and all in the spell’s Area must make a Reflex save for half damage. If a line is chosen, it begins at your fingertips; a spread begins as a pellet of energy which detonates at a distance you determine, unless it strikes some intervening body or barrier, in the same manner as a fireball.

Factor: Delay (special). To delay the effect of the spell, increase the Spellcraft Prerequisite by +1 for every 2 rounds (or fraction thereof) that the spell can be delayed. See delayed blast fireball for details.

Factor:
  • To increase the base damage by +1d6, add +1 to the Spellcraft Prerequisite. This factor stacks.
  • To increase the damage by 50%, increase the Spellcraft Prerequisite by +10. This factor stacks.
Conditions

• A ray which includes [blast] as its base seed changes its Saving Throw entry to Fortitude: Half.
[/sblock]

Last edited:

Stylistically we should decide whether we are going to say "you" or "the caster" in the seed descriptions. I vote for "you" - it means fewer instances of "his or her".
I agree. I also like its official informality.

:uhoh:

If a spell is developed which has a smaller blast area, decrease the Spellcraft Prerequisite by 3 for every 120 ft. the line is shortened or for each 20 ft. the radius is reduced. If the size of the blast cannot be changed at the time of casting, decrease the Spellcraft Prerequisite by 2. These changes to the Spellcraft Prerequisite stack.

I'm not keen on this buyback mechanism, it's kind of clunky: essentially, all you're doing is providing a reservoir of factors that can be freed up to do something else - you may as well just come straight out and say [Blast] has X free factors, which you can assign during spell development. Which I don't want to do either, BTW. [Blast] is such a damn pain in the arse.

Yet Another Blast
30d6, and make empower cheaper (+6 SP): it means that it will increase its base damage by 15d6 every 6 levels; Matt can garner 4 x AMCs (= 2 x empowers for his dbf) over the same range: Matt gains more flexibility, and creeps ahead of the game. A x2 feat is still viable - at 50th level Matt can 10 x empower his dbf for 120d6; if Jake has a x2 feat, his [blast] will do 180d6. If +12SP = double empower, then the secondary seed / admixture conundrum is also solved. I'd drop the +1d6/SP factor altogether.

My Kernelese is different to yours (see post 392 in the big thread), but this [blast] is still a medium weight: 20 (kernel) + 24 (4 x empower) +7 (heighten) +4 (flexible area). I've also included more area options.

I've called out admixtures specifically, and included a primordial option - kind of a corollary of the missing aligned option. See what you think :\ .

[Blast]
Evocation [Acid, Cold, Electricity or Fire]

Root Spell: Delayed blast fireball, lightning bolt
Preferred Mitigation: Backlash
Area or Effect: See text
Saving Throw: Reflex half
Spell Resistance: Yes

This seed uses whichever one of four basic energy types you choose: acid, cold, electricity, or fire. You may cast the energy forth as a 120-ft. line, a 60-ft. cone, a cylinder 10-ft. wide and 40-ft. high, an area of four 20-ft. cubes, or as a spread with a radius of 20-ft. The energy type is set during spell development; you may choose the blast shape at the moment of casting.

Mitigating Factor: If you choose to set the area shape during spell development, reduce the Spellcraft Prerequisite by -4.

A spell developed using the [blast] seed releases energy which deals 30d6 points of damage of the appropriate type, and all in the spell’s Area must make a Reflex save for half damage. If a line or cone is chosen, it begins at your fingertips; a spread begins as a pellet of energy which detonates at a distance you determine, unless it strikes some intervening body or barrier, in the same manner as a fireball.

Factors: You may choose to develop a spell which discharges another type of damaging energy. The options and the associated costs are as follows:

Sonic energy (+4 SP). The spell receives the [sonic] descriptor. Sonic damage ignores an object's hardness.
Slashing, piercing or bludgeoning (+6 SP). This damage bypasses Damage Reduction. To have the spell damage interact with Damage Reduction as a magical weapon of the appropriate type, reduce the SP modifier to +4. If the damage will be treated as a non-magical weapon of the appropriate type, reduce the SP modifier to +2.
Force damage (+6 SP). The spell receives the [force] descriptor. Force damage affects incorporeal and ethereal creatures, but not objects; to include objects, increase the Spellcraft Prerequisite by an additional +1.
Typeless (+8). The spell loses the energy descriptor. The damage is of no particular type, and is not subject to resistance or energy immunity.
Primordial (+10). The spell retains its energy descriptor, but ignores all resistances and immunities to that energy, even those possessed by a creature with an elemental subtype. Creatures who normally possess special vulnerability to the energy type remain vulnerable.
Admixed (+12). The spell deals an additional amount of damage of a different energy type equal to the base damage of the seed (30d6). The spell gains an additional energy descriptor. This factor stacks: each time you apply it, the spell does an additional 30d6 points of damage of another energy type, and gains an additional energy descriptor.

Factor: Delay (special). To delay the effect of the spell, increase the Spellcraft Prerequisite by +1 for every 2 rounds (or fraction thereof) that the spell can be delayed. See delayed blast fireball for details.

Factor: To empower the base damage by 50%, increase the Spellcraft Prerequisite by +6. This factor stacks. If the spell is an admixtured spell, each energy type must be empowered separately.

Conditions
A ray which includes [blast] as its base seed changes its Saving Throw entry to Fortitude: Half.

Last edited:

Cheiromancer

Adventurer
I like it. Its damage curve can be estimated by eye, which is a very good thing. Those formulas were quite tedious. And this seed naturally suggests hell ball. I think if we use a cheap Widen factor (+3) we could get a very serviceable battle spell too.

This thread says Widen is overpriced at +3 levels. +3 SP is probably closer to the truth.

Cheiromancer

Adventurer
Kinda rough, and involving a lot of cut'n'paste. Let me know what you think.

[edit] See post 9.

[sblock][Transmute]
Transmutation

Root Spell: Transmute rock to mud, transmute mud to rock, transmute metal to wood, flesh to stone, stone to flesh
Preferred Mitigation: Extra casting time, power components, reduced volume (see text)
Area or Effect: See text
Saving Throw: None or Fortitude negates or Reflex half (see text).
Spell Resistance: Yes (see text)

This seed transmutes large quantities of one kind of material into another. You may affect matter in a 1200-ft. line, a 600-ft. cone, a cylinder 100-ft. wide and 400-ft. high, an area of four 200-ft. cubes or twenty 100-ft. cubes, or as a spread with a radius of 200-ft. The type of material to be transformed is set during spell development; you may choose the area affected at the moment of casting.

Mitigating Factor: If you choose to set the area shape during spell development, reduce the Spellcraft Prerequisite by 4.

Reduced Volume Factor: Halving a dimension (length or width or height) reduces the Spellcraft Prerequisite by 1; halving all dimensions reduces the Spellcraft Prerequisite by 3. This factor stacks; halving twice reduces a dimension by a factor of 4, halving three times reduces by a factor of 8 (treat as 10 for the sake of convenience), and so on. To affect only an individual creature (of any size from Fine to Colossal) is worth a -15 reduction to the Spellcraft Prerequisite.

The [transmute] spell has five versions.You may choose to default to any version for which you have adequately increased the Spellcraft Prerequisite when you cast the spell.

Mud to Stone
This spell transforms normal mud or quicksand of any depth into soft stone (sandstone or a similar mineral). Any creature in the mud is allowed a Reflex save to escape before the area is hardened to stone.

Stone to Mud
This spell turns natural, uncut or unworked stone of any sort into an equal volume of mud. Large quantities of worked stone will protect an equal volume of stone underneath it from being transmuted. A creature unable to levitate, fly, or otherwise free itself from the mud sinks until hip- or chest-deep, reducing its speed to 5 feet and causing a -2 penalty on attack rolls and AC. Brush thrown atop the mud can support creatures able to climb on top of it.

If Stone to Mud is cast upon the ceiling of a cavern or tunnel, the mud falls to the floor and spreads out in a pool. The falling mud and the ensuing cave-in deal 8d6 points of bludgeoning damage to anyone caught directly beneath the area, or half damage to those who succeed on Reflex saves.

Although Stone to Mud can’t affect worked stone or natural stone it protects, the spell can reach deep enough to undermine the foundations even of castles and large stone buildings, typically causing them to be damaged or even partially toppled by this spell. All structures takes 100 points of damage. Hardness does not reduce this damage, nor is it halved as damage dealt to objects normally is.

Creatures made out of stone become immobile and helpless if transmuted into mud.

Evaporation turns the mud to normal dirt over a period of days. The exact time depends on exposure to the sun, wind, and normal drainage.

Metal to Wood (+6 SP)
This spell enables you to change all metal objects within its area to wood. Weapons, armor, and other metal objects carried by creatures are affected as well. Weapons converted from metal to wood take a -2 penalty on attack and damage rolls. The armor bonus of any armor converted from metal to wood is reduced by 2. Weapons changed by this spell splinter and break on any natural attack roll of 1 or 2, and armor changed by this spell loses an additional point of armor bonus every time it is struck with a natural attack roll of 19 or 20.

Metallic creatures who fail their Fortitude save take a -2 penalty to attack and damage rolls and to their armor class. They lose any elemental resistances and immunities they may have possessed and gain Fire vulnerability instead. If they have Damage Reduction with an adamantine component, that component is lost.

Flesh to Stone (+12 SP)
Each fleshly creature in the Area, along with all its carried gear, turns into a mindless, inert statue if they fail their Fortitude save. If a statue resulting from this spell is broken or damaged, the subject (if ever returned to its original state) has similar damage or deformities. Affected creatures are not dead, but do not seem to be alive either when viewed with spells such as deathwatch.

Stone to Flesh (+12 SP)
This spell restores any petrified creature in the Area to its normal state, restoring life and goods. Each creature must make a DC 15 Fortitude save to survive the process.

The spell also can convert a mass of stone into a fleshy substance. Such flesh is inert and lacking a vital life force unless a life force or magical energy is available. (For example, this spell would turn a stone golem into a flesh golem, but an ordinary statue would become a corpse.)

Creatures potentially subject to [transmute] may attempt a Fortitude save to avoid being transmuted. Non-magical items do not receive a save. A magic item or object in the possession of a creature affected by [transmute] is automatically affected if the creature fails its save. Usually, however, a magic item or object is made of a different material than its bearers. In this case, or if the item is unattended, it does not attempt a save but is treated as if had spell resistance equal to 20 + its caster level against [transmute].

Artifacts cannot be transmuted.[/sblock]

Oh, and a pet peeve/stylistic request: I don't think we should say "reduce the Spellcraft Prerequisite by -4". If you reduce something by a negative number, it gets bigger. We should say "reduce the Spellcraft Prerequisite by 4".

Last edited:

[Transmute]

My initial reaction is that the scale of this spell needs to be reduced dramatically, and that maybe it should be split into 2 area effects: 40 x 20-ft cubes (S) (for rock to mud/mud to rock) and a 40-ft. radius burst effect at 1200ft. for stone to flesh/metal to wood. Increased area factors can still be later applied to make this very large effect.

I'd fold rock to mud and its reverse into the same subseed. I'd give it lots of flexibility: "You absolutely determine the composition of a volume of lithic matter, designating its consistency as anything from the softest mud to the hardest granite." I'd extend it to affect worked stone, stone of any hardness, and magically treated stone (with an opposed caster level check), and eliminate its 10-ft depth cap. It's also now an instantaneous spell, instead of permanent - which should be worth something. It's offensive (it can affect stone or earth creatures) - Maybe it can be a save-or-die effect against this very narrow group: possibly with the inclusion of an invisible [slay] secondary seed. I'd retain its shapeability (S) - this is a very useful benefit.

I'd also provide an epic benefit to flesh to stone: break enchantment and nonepic stone to flesh should be unable to reverse it. Only wish, miracle and an epic stone to flesh from [transmute] should be able to undo it. I wonder about epic [dispel] - it should probably have the ability, as well.

I'm thinking that limited wish should be dropped from the possible restorative spells for transmute metal to wood and I'm tempted to eliminate the item SR altogether, or maybe reduce it to 10+ caster level for a hefty internal factor.

Cheiromancer

Adventurer
The item SR is unique, as far as I know, to transmute metal to wood. Perhaps it should stay that way; let's try it at 10 + caster level for a -6 mitigation factor. No save for magic items? That might be a little harsh. How about a weaker version of SR instead? And I think you are right about the massive areas. I was thinking about battle-field effects the last few days, but now I'm back-peddling.

The reversible aspect of flesh to stone has always bugged me. If it were a permanent curse I could see that a specialized spell could reverse it, but instantaneous effects aren't supposed to leave behind any magical residue that can be undone. As the description of dispel magic says, "The effect of a spell with an instantaneous duration can’t be dispelled, because the magical effect is already over before the dispel magic can take effect." Spells that reconstruct a creature or object should be the only things that work (CLW or raise dead or something). I wonder: If you use true seeing to examine a group of statues, can you tell which one are really people? I bet you could.

Which makes me think that flesh to stone is really a permanent curse not subject to generic dispels (i.e. to any effect that doesn't call it out fairly specifically), I wonder if it could be given a (D)- make it so the caster could restore the petrified individual to flesh. Combined with epic irreversibility that would be quite neat.

BTW, the reference to break enchantment reversing flesh to stone is not in the SRD. And it contradicts the line where it says that "if the spell is one that cannot be dispelled by dispel magic, break enchantment works only if that spell is 5th level or lower.

The rules forum people think that the reference to flesh to stone in the PHB description is to provide an example of an instantaneous transmutation, not a declaration that break enchantment would actually work on it. This is not an obvious reading, but it does resolve the contradiction and explain why the SRD omits it.

Break enchantment can apparently reverse awaken and reincarnate. :uhoh:

I'll incorporate the changes soon.

Last edited:

Cheiromancer

Adventurer
Version 1.1

I've included a few whimsical touches. :D

[Transmute]
Transmutation

Root Spell: Transmute rock to mud, transmute mud to rock, transmute metal to wood, flesh to stone, stone to flesh
Preferred Mitigation: Extra casting time, power components
Area or Effect: 40 x 20-ft. cubes (S) or 40-ft. radius burst; see text.
Saving Throw: None or Fortitude negates or Reflex half (see text).
Spell Resistance: Yes (see text)

This seed transmutes one kind of material into another. You may change the consistency of earth, stone or mud, or else make more radical changes to the composition of particular substances.

A creature potentially subject to [transmute] may attempt a Fortitude save to protect itself. Non-magical gear is automatically affected, with no save; a magic item does not attempt a save but is treated as if had spell resistance equal to 10 + its caster level against [transmute]. Artifacts cannot be transmuted.

The type of material to be transformed is set during spell development. You may develop a spell that affects either Earth, Metal, or Flesh and Stone. Some options require an increased Spellcraft Prerequisite to develop.

Earth
You absolutely determine the composition of a volume of lithic matter, designating its consistency as anything from the softest mud to the hardest granite. You may affect worked stone, stone of any hardness, and even magically treated stone (provided you succeed in an opposed caster level check). This version of the spell affects 40 x 20-ft. cubes, and is shapeable.

This version of [transmute] has special effects on creatures who are in the area of effect:

Mud: Any creature in the mud is allowed a Reflex save to escape before the area is hardened to stone.

Stone: A creature unable to levitate, fly, or otherwise free itself from the mud sinks until hip- or chest-deep, reducing its speed to 5 feet and causing a -2 penalty on attack rolls and AC. Brush thrown atop the mud can support creatures able to climb on top of it.

If the ceiling of a cavern or tunnel is transmuted to mud, the mud falls to the floor and spreads out in a pool. The falling mud and the ensuing cave-in deal 8d6 points of bludgeoning damage to anyone caught directly beneath the area, or half damage to those who succeed on Reflex saves.

Creatures made out of stone or earth die if transmuted into mud; a Fortitude save negates.

Metal (+6 SP)
This version of [transmute] changes all metal objects in a 40-ft. radius burst to wood. Weapons, armor, and other metal objects carried by creatures are affected as well, to their detriment: weapons converted from metal to wood take a -2 penalty on attack and damage rolls, and the armor bonus of any armor converted from metal to wood is reduced by 2. Weapons changed by this spell splinter and break on any natural attack roll of 1 or 2, and armor changed by this spell loses an additional point of armor bonus every time it is struck with a natural attack roll of 19 or 20.

A metallic creature who fails its Fortitude save takes a -2 penalty to attack and damage rolls and to its armor class. It loses any elemental resistances and immunities it may have possessed (except versus cold) and gains Fire vulnerability instead. If it has Damage Reduction with an adamantine component, that component is lost.

Flesh and Stone (+12 SP)
This version of [transmute] can be used in three different ways, chosen at the moment of casting. All three versions affect a 40-ft. radius burst.

Mitigating factor: If you choose to set the exact version during spell development, reduce the Spellcraft Prerequisite by 2. Choose either petrification, reverse petrification or stone to flesh.

Petrification: Each fleshly creature in a 40-ft. radius, along with all its carried gear, turns into a mindless, inert statue if it fails its Fortitude save. If a statue resulting from this spell is broken or damaged, the subject (if ever returned to its original state) has similar damage or deformities. Affected creatures are not dead, but do not seem to be alive either when viewed with spells such as deathwatch. This version also affects objects made out of flesh, such as corpses.​
Factor: To affect plants and plant-derived materials as well, increase the Spellcraft Prerequisite by +2.

Mitigating Factor: To allow petrification to be reversed by the usual non-epic means, reduce the Spellcraft Prerequisite by 4.

Factor: To gain the ability to dismiss the petrification effect from an individual affected by this spell, increase the Spellcraft Prerequisite by 4. Unlike reverse petrification, the creature does not have to make a Fortitude save to survive the ordeal.

Reverse Petrification: This version restores each petrified creature or object in the Area to its normal state, restoring life and goods. The reversal is traumatic; each creature must make a DC 15 Fortitude save to survive the process.

Stone to Flesh: The version converts a mass of stone into a fleshy substance. Such flesh is inert and lacking a vital life force unless a life force or magical energy is available. (For example, this spell would turn a stone golem into a flesh golem, but an ordinary statue would become a corpse.) Flesh created by this spell tends to be tough, and does not entirely lose its earthy nature; its decomposition, which is slow, results in the formation of tar, oil and coal.​

Special: Of non-epic magic, only wish and miracle can reverse [transmute]. Another application of [transmute] can reverse many effects, as can an epic [dispel] if the opposed caster level check is successful. [Transmute] gains a +10 bonus in an opposed check with [dispel], however.

Esoteric applications of [transmute] are rumored to exist. Rock can be turned to lava, and water can be turned to rock. Living creatures can be turned to iron and even, perhaps, to gold.

Last edited:

Cheiromancer

Adventurer
[Blast], [?] and [Destroy]

Back to [blast].

I was thinking about the no-save rays (like polar ray or scorching ray) and how they are related to this seed. I think that changing the base damage to 20d6 will work well enough to handle the "no save factor". It's really an exponential factor, so I think it should change the base damage rather than be a straight plus of some sort. "No save" would be cost effective if the opposition is saving more than 2/3 of the time.

So a no-save area effect (rather like a high level ice storm) would do 20d6 at SP 24. If made into a ray (at -6, as per my suggestion in the Mass Effect Factors thread) then you could pay for an Empower factor and do 30d6 as an elemental ray. This compares nicely, in both range and damage, to a polar ray (which does 21d6 at 21st level).

I would also suggest a base damage reduction to make a spell into a no SR conjuration. This changes the school, so probably should be a different seed. I don't know what it would be called. But a 20d6 no SR area effect seems reasonable. There should be a way to get clouds in there too.

Clouds are funny, though; they typically do less damage but for a longer time. Incendiary cloud does 4d6 for 1 round/level, reflex half, and can be moved by concentration. Make it 5d6 and a free action to move and it could plausibly be called an epic spell. Not exactly a heavy hitter, but [blast] is itself a bit of a light-weight. Clouds can be combined with other seeds to apply poison (cloud kill) and probably stuff like disease and negative levels too.

I don't know - no SR says "conjuration" to me, but aside from the change in base damage (and the possible addition of clouds as an effect) it seems kind of a modest basis for a seed. Which reminds me...

Re: Disintegrate

If you don't expect the opposition to make their saves very often, I'd suggest a skew factor at +4 SP. A skew spell does double the base damage on a failed save, but only 5d6 on a successful save. This factor can only be used on an effect that allows a saving throw.

Skew is based on disintegrate, of course, and adding it to [blast] would be tantamount to subsuming [destroy] entirely. I think it would be nice to preserve [destroy] as a separate seed, but it seems to be only about two factors different from [blast]; skew, for the odd damage profile, and another factor (+4?) that allows it to take down force fields and anti-magic shells and epic wards and such. (If this factor is more expensive, then the skew factor might have to be correspondingly cheaper; my calculations supposed that they summed to +8. And I assumed that the spread to ray toggle was valued at 6.)

Two factors seems to be a slim basis on which to build a seed. What do you think?

Last edited:

Remove ads