D&D 2E Blast from the Past - AD&D 2E Core Rules 2.0 (with Expansion)

Stormonu

Legend
Does this happen to bring back any memories for anyone?

I pulled the old AD&D CD-ROM Core Rules 2.0 / Expansion disks out of storage and installed it on my PC to assist with helping my players make 2E characters (and along the way, rediscovered some old rules I forgot - for example, that Halflings couldn't have 18 Wis...).

1673732132057.png

It came with a lite version of Profantasy's mapmaking software with which you could make overland maps or dungeon maps

1673732278448.png

Besides being able to make Characters, NPC and Monsters (and having all the monsters from the Monstrous Compendium included, with color pictures), it also had all the "Complete" line of books available in RTF & HTML format (& CHD Help format*)

Characters (& NPCs) can be made with the standard rules (including option from the "Complete" series), or using the Player's Option rules for even more options.

1673732505485.png

List of included books:
  • Dungeon Master's Guide
  • Monstrous Manual
  • Player's Handbook
  • Arms & Equipment Guide
  • Tome of Magic
  • DM Option: High Level Campaigns
  • Player's Option: Combat & Tactics
  • Player's Option: Skills & Powers
  • Player's Option: Spells & Magic
  • The Complete Bard's Handbook
  • The Complete Druid's Handbook
  • The Complete Fighter's Handbook
  • The Complete Paladin's Handbook
  • The Complete Priest's Handbook
  • The Complete Ranger's Handbook
  • The Complete Thief's Handbook
  • The Complete Wizard's Handbook
  • The Complete Book of Dwarves
  • The Complete Book of Gnomes & Halflings
  • The Complete Book of Elves

The best news? It still works with Windows 10/11!

* Which, unfortunately, is the only format that doesn't work on PCs newer than Win 8) ... along with the website links to the various companies...

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
Does this happen to bring back any memories for anyone?
It sure does! I remember playing around with that a lot as a kid; it's such a great product!
I pulled the old AD&D CD-ROM Core Rules 2.0 / Expansion disks out of storage and installed it on my PC
I did the same thing a few years ago; I was thrilled to realize that it worked, since I was sure it wouldn't run on a modern Windows OS.
List of included books:
Don't forget that there was a downloadable add-on for DMGR7 The Complete Book of Necromancers also. You can still grab it from this archive of WotC's website.

I only ever messed with this when it was included on a PC gaming demo disc (remember those!). I always wanted to play with the map tool.

Alby87

Adventurer
May I add this little software that updates the Core Rules to the latest TSR errata?

Using this, the CD-ROM HLP, RTF and HTML will be updated. I've made it myself (editing with time appropriate software the HLP and RTF files), and published as "difference files" (naturally couldn't just release the complete files, that would be copyright infrangment). Hope you enjoy this!

I really wish they have added some other books like the DMGR1 (the REAL DM's Guide). I've studied how to do it, it's pretty easy to add any book one want, but naturally it requires a lot of time, and after you have done the work... one can not share it. What a pity.

Stormonu

Legend
May I add this little software that updates the Core Rules to the latest TSR errata?

Using this, the CD-ROM HLP, RTF and HTML will be updated. I've made it myself (editing with time appropriate software the HLP and RTF files), and published as "difference files" (naturally couldn't just release the complete files, that would be copyright infrangment). Hope you enjoy this!

I really wish they have added some other books like the DMGR1 (the REAL DM's Guide). I've studied how to do it, it's pretty easy to add any book one want, but naturally it requires a lot of time, and after you have done the work... one can not share it. What a pity.
I glanced at that shortly before posting this thread, but was unsure if the link could be posted. Thanks for pointing it out.

Does the update to the HLP files make them usable in Win 10? I get directed to an error on MS's site whenever I try to open them currently, the downloadable MSI to fix HLP files on MS's site won't load into Win 10. I haven't applied the Core Rules patch yet.

Wish there was a way to point to the PDF's I've bought from DriveThru.

Alby87

Adventurer
I glanced at that shortly before posting this thread, but was unsure if the link could be posted. Thanks for pointing it out.

Does the update to the HLP files make them usable in Win 10? I get directed to an error on MS's site whenever I try to open them currently, the downloadable MSI to fix HLP files on MS's site won't load into Win 10. I haven't applied the Core Rules patch yet.

Wish there was a way to point to the PDF's I've bought from DriveThru.
Unfortunately, not. This update just correct what was issued as an errata by TSR. Almost everything issued as an errata was correct, no errors on any accesory books. But the core books had still some errors on the spells, the spell list and the saving throws for material table (like, one number was 4 instead of 14).

I could only did this, no more. To be honest, I tried this software, the Forgotten Realms Atlas and the Dragon Magazine archive inside a virtual machine running Windows XP 32 bit. I don't use the software regullary (I play 5e), but I liked the concept and at least try it... then I had curiosity about what errata were applied, and discovered those errors I just tried to fix them.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases