D&D 2E Blast from the Past - AD&D 2E Core Rules 2.0 (with Expansion)

Sirikus

Explorer
Huh... I have these disks, but when i tried to install them on my windows 10 system they just... don't. I've tried all the various compatibility modes and whatnot, but it just refuses to actually install. :p

PHATsakk43

Villager
You have a system hang that has to be undone.
It's a bit of a PITA, but basically, you have to open Task Manager and find the 32-bit program that is hanging up the installation.
You have to go to the Details tab, find the installer program, right click, "Analyze Wait Chain," find the offending program, and kill it.

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
I have my very beloved Dragon CDs. But never got this.

I know people who did, loved it, and then were somewhat annoyed when 3E came out--and we moved to it.

Vexed Vizier

Explorer
I'm glad to hear it runs well 20+ years later! I had a copy and, for whatever reason, it ran like garbage for me. None of my friends could get it working properly and we abandoned it.

hoffrg86

Explorer
The AD&D 2E Core Rules are available on the internet archive, I own the CDS, but no longer have a CD Player! grr. I was able to successfully install the core rules and expansion on Windows 10, and recently 11 by killing the 32 bit app(mentioned above).

Did anyone do a write-up on getting the help files to work?

notes>>
You have to install CORE RULES 2.0 AND [THEN] 2.0 expansion in compatibility mode for windows XP - service pack 3. (mount iso, find setup file, set compat xp sp3) run installer. Select full install for both, and everything should work.. except the help files.

I believe I needed to run the setup files as admin to get the map maker file permissions to work right , its so-so, so I didn't bother the last time.

Stormonu

Legend
Post #5 has an update that gets the Help/Source files working (as RTFs) - CHD files don't work on Win 10/11.

The mapmaker tools worked fine for me on Win 10, but my machine can't upgrade to 11, so haven't been able to test that. In the end there are FAR better mapmaking tools these days. The one I'm using is DungeonFog. A similar non-internet version is DungeonDraft. If you have old maps from this program you want to use, Profantasy is still in business and the file formats should be compatible with their modern versions (I think they have a free file reader, to boot).

Remove ads