D&D (2024) Blast from the past

Mind of tempest

(he/him)advocate for 5e psionics
Where 4e failed, imo, was that a) Spirit Companion, iirc, focused on totems and ignored other types of spirit companions such as ancestral spirit and spirits of land (Including lakes, mountains, etc); b) the spirit companions were also to prescriptive for my tastes. For instance, in some cultures, Snake is a healing spirit, but we get only Bear. This is why I preferred Green Ronin's handling of a Shaman class- it essentially received Cleric Domains and gave examples of spirits that were appropriate for each Domain.
assuming it is a full class then it would not have that problem in 5e or at least as much.

Stalker0

Legend
I’ll add another vote for the old morale rules. They are elegant in their simplicity and help to standardize monster tactics (undead fight until death, kobolds will disengage from a fight quick).

it really highlights that most monsters are not suicidal

Vaalingrade

Legend
I agree that made-up statistics are silly (I am not the one who posted the 90% thing); but if you're going to complain about people basing their posts entirely on personal experience, and real statistics aren't available, then made-up statistics is the only thing left.

I guess I'll just go back to your earlier post, where you said "Because, personal experience is the limit to what happens?" and reply "What else you got?"
Maybe if you don't have any evidence other than anecdotal just don't present your opinion as fact?

Dausuul

Legend
Maybe if you don't have any evidence other than anecdotal just don't present your opinion as fact?
I didn't. In fact I repeatedly emphasized "in my experience" in my posts. Those were the posts that got the "So personal experience is the limit to what happens?" reply.

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
Where 4e failed, imo, was that a) Spirit Companion, iirc, focused on totems and ignored other types of spirit companions such as ancestral spirit and spirits of land (Including lakes, mountains, etc); b) the spirit companions were also to prescriptive for my tastes. For instance, in some cultures, Snake is a healing spirit, but we get only Bear. This is why I preferred Green Ronin's handling of a Shaman class- it essentially received Cleric Domains and gave examples of spirits that were appropriate for each Domain.
They actually did add an elementalist shaman subclass with the Dark Sun Campaign Setting (Aug 2010) and a World Speaker subclass in Primal Power (Oct 2009), when the Shaman class itself only launched in Mar 2009. So within a year and a half, they did add pretty much what you're asking for. And even the PHB2, where it launched, has powers specifically for calling on ancestor-spirits rather than animal or abstract ones.

Plus, 4e was super huge on reskinning, so like...why couldn't you say your Protector spirit was a snake, or a Set animal, or whatever else? I legit don't understand why it's necessary to have Snake be its own spirit with distinct mechanics. Just declare its appearance and you're good. It's literally no different than declaring your character's height or weight--theoretically it has mechanical merit, but practically it's purely up to you as contextual flavor.

Bill Zebub

“It’s probably Matt Mercer’s fault.”
Dragon Magazine....in print.

And especially SnarfQuest.

Wrapped in brown mailing paper, so I can just raise my eyebrows conspiratorially to my non-gaming friends and they'll think I have something illicit.

Remove ads