D&D 5E Bleeping Forcecage

trentonjoe

Explorer
I rarely play games above 12th level but when I do, this spell is like the most common one cast. I have some questions.....

Once it's cast, if the target is COMPLETELY in the 10X10 or 20X20 area, the target is just kinda trapped right?

One way out is to teleport (or other teleportation magic like misty step) out if you make a charisma save. Right?

Can a caster teleport in without having to make a save and then teleport out with the target?

Is there a means of dispelling it other than WISH?

Would disintegrate works?

Forcecage blocks ethereal travel but could you plane shift into the astral plane and leave? Is that still a thing?

Thanks in advance.

Mannahnin

Scion of Murgen (He/Him)
"Teleportation or interplanar travel" as a means of escape requires a Charisma save, per the spell.

Disintegrate specifies that it destroys creations of magical force, and calls out Wall of Force as an example, so absolutely it works against Forcecage.

If it's in cage form, gaseous form or other physical transformations which would enable the occupant to fit through a 1/2" gap would also work.

Last edited:

Stormonu

Legend
I haven’t used it yet (my games don’t usually get to this level), but I’ve modified the spell so that the cage has AC/hit points (and a ton of resistances)/burst DC so that non-spellcasters have a chance of getting out of it. Same for Ottoluke’s spheres and Wall of Force. I don’t like absolute spells that don’t give players a chance (other than dispel) to overcome them.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
Can a caster teleport in without having to make a save and then teleport out with the target?
Teleport in without a save, I'd probably allow it. But now the caster is trapped too and needs to make the charisma save to get out. And I'd probably also have the target make that save as well in order to be counted as a willing passenger of the caster's teleportation magic.

Forcecage blocks ethereal travel but could you plane shift into the astral plane and leave? Is that still a thing?
Since any form of extraplanar escape requires a charisma save, if you have a means of shifting into the astral plane that doesn't leave a physical body behind, then you could do so, provided you made the save.

Mannahnin

Scion of Murgen (He/Him)
Teleport in without a save, I'd probably allow it. But now the caster is trapped too and needs to make the charisma save to get out. And I'd probably also have the target make that save as well in order to be counted as a willing passenger of the caster's teleportation magic.
Per the rules it's a save when you use the teleport or the spell fails. I'd interpret that as one save for the caster.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
Per the rules it's a save when you use the teleport or the spell fails. I'd interpret that as one save for the caster.
And had it been some kind of caster stat check, I'd probably interpret it the same way. But it's a charisma save which makes it look to me like the individual's strength of personality has to overcome the forcecage's resistance to dimensional escape - which could apply to being willing to ride along. Plus, it's the more rat-bastardly DMing interpretation here and that's always attractive.

Mannahnin

Scion of Murgen (He/Him)
So you'd rule that the spell fails if either the caster or the passenger fails their save? That seems extreme to me.

I agree that the caster is trying to force their way through.

Stormonu

Legend
I think @billd91 is suggesting the passenger fails to pass through the cage if they fail their save.
If you do have both teleported and rider check, would you use the teleporter’s ability score for both or would the rider use their own Charisma? If the person initiating the teleport failed, would the rider also automatically fail?

Remove ads