D&D 5E Bleeping Forcecage

aco175

Legend
I hit the PCs with one the way they wanted it to work and they did not like it, so we agreed on some new rules that allow some teleporting and a save.

Nitrosaur

Explorer
The way I deal with Forcecage is getting VERY strict with ``any creature that is completely inside the cage's area is trapped. Creatures only partially within the area, or those too large to fit inside the area, are pushed away from the center of the area until they are completely outside the area.´´ and with the real size of the creature, not just the combat space they take up with their size category. Per the MM, Frost Giants are at least 21 ft. tall. The T. rex was 39+ ft. long. Following the 3e and 4e Draconomicons (i do), Large dragons are 30+ ft. long with an even larger wingspan.

None of those monsters would be trapped by the biggest size of Forcecage, so while still a hard counter to some monsters, now is way more limited.

Reynard

Legend
The way I deal with Forcecage is getting VERY strict with ``any creature that is completely inside the cage's area is trapped. Creatures only partially within the area, or those too large to fit inside the area, are pushed away from the center of the area until they are completely outside the area.´´ and with the real size of the creature, not just the combat space they take up with their size category. Per the MM, Frost Giants are at least 21 ft. tall. The T. rex was 39+ ft. long. Following the 3e and 4e Draconomicons (i do), Large dragons are 30+ ft. long with an even larger wingspan.

None of those monsters would be trapped by the biggest size of Forcecage, so while still a hard counter to some monsters, now is way more limited.
Yeah, one of the biggest blunders I made as GM was in a final battle versus a dragon that was narratively MUCH larger than the cage but fit inside it on the battlemap. I let the cage trap the dragon and from there it was just an anti-climactic slog.

dave2008

Legend

I interrupt it the same way.

Caael

First Post
"Teleportation or interplanar travel" as a means of escape requires a Charisma save, per the spell.

Disintegrate specifies that it destroys creations of magical force, and calls out Wall of Force as an example, so absolutely it works against Forcecage.

If it's in cage form, gaseous form or other physical transformations which would enable the occupant to fit through a 1/2" gap would also work.
Gaseous form, wild shape, polymorph, or any other shapechanging effect actually wouldn't work.

"A creature inside the cage can’t leave it by nonmagical means."
Walking or flying are mundane movement, even if it was magic that gave you a fly speed or changed your physical size. Your method of leaving must itself be magical, which means it's basically going to be teleportation or planar travel, so you're up against the save.

Your options are essentially Disintegrate, Antimagic field, or teleportation.

Remove ads