D&D 5E Blessed healer and mass cure spells.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
I came to say the same as everyone else. It's unambiguous - did you heal someoen besides yourself? Yes? Get a few HPs of healing. There is no limitation that you did not also heal yourself.

And frankly, nerfing an already weak option (minimal HPs for the levels you can cast mass healing) isn't something I'd want to do - how does that add to fun?

Last edited:

noko

old hag of a DM
You know, Mass Healing Word does not infer that the caster is included in "up to six creatures of your choice, that you can see, within range..." as the general thought is not that you can't really see yourself. The boost to the healer applies in that case. Mass Cure Wounds heals those selected by the caster and if I'm casting a radiant spell and choose myself because I'm wounded 3d8+ ability modifier gain is what I'm looking for rather than a 7+modifier point boost, much better odds.

jaelis

Oh this is where the title goes?
You know, Mass Healing Word does not infer that the caster is included in "up to six creatures of your choice, that you can see, within range..." as the general thought is not that you can't really see yourself. The boost to the healer applies in that case. Mass Cure Wounds heals those selected by the caster and if I'm casting a radiant spell and choose myself because I'm wounded 3d8+ ability modifier gain is what I'm looking for rather than a 7+modifier point boost, much better odds.
I'm a little confused what you're saying here, you don't think a cleric can target himself with mass healing word? I know the devs have confirmed that you can see yourself (assuming you can see).

noko

old hag of a DM
I'm just going with actual English, six creatures that you can see doesn't automatically mean you too. I confess, the English used in the books is poor and my players and I may have wandered far as we read the books and suss them out as they are written on the page. Some of the stuff written is absolutely opaque but I stand behind my reading of this.

the Jester

Legend
I'm just going with actual English, six creatures that you can see doesn't automatically mean you too. I confess, the English used in the books is poor and my players and I may have wandered far as we read the books and suss them out as they are written on the page. Some of the stuff written is absolutely opaque but I stand behind my reading of this.

I read this as "you don't have to target yourself, but you can".

Either way, as long as you target at least one other creature, the blessed healer feature triggers, at least by RAW.

noko

old hag of a DM
I think so. The healer targets those chosen, possibly the caster included, possibly not. Even if not targeted the healer always benefits from healing others. If self is included in the target, then the healer tops up even more strongly but the healer loses out on extra healing by only healing themselves. A strong inducement for healers to be generous although an exploitable one.

You know, Mass Healing Word does not infer that the caster is included in "up to six creatures of your choice, that you can see, within range..." as the general thought is not that you can't really see yourself.

Politely, gently, I humbly submit, the following :

1) your interpretation is likely not general thought. Statistically, a consensus opinion, uniformly held by all En World members would not truly constitute “general thought

2) the rules state:
TARGETING YOURSELF
If a spell targets a creature of your choice, you can choose yourself, unless the creature must be hostile or specifically a creature other than you. Ifyou are in the area of effect of a spell you cast, you can target yourself.

So, I afraid the rules interpretation you are advocating, is incorrect.
(I write the above without venom or ill will.) 😄

A caster of Mass Healing Word can absolutely target themselves.

Remove ads