D&D 5E Blink and the single monster

Werebat

Explorer
Is the Blink spell essentially useless for a lone opponent?

I ran a combat last night with three Blink-enabled opponents. All began combat by casting Blink.

Other than some minor maneuverability benefits, the Blink spell did nothing for them. Every round the PCs just held actions to attack or unleash spells as soon as they reappeared -- and that was IF they vanished in the first place.

Just wondering if I was running it wrong. As it stands it seems like a pretty poo spell for a lone monster to cast on itself.

AaronOfBarbaria

Adventurer
PCs that are readying actions are generally less effective than PCs taking actions on their turns. This is because of things like Extra Attack not providing benefit outside of your own turn, using up your reaction so it isn't available for other purposes (opportunity attacks or shield spells for example), and requiring concentration for any spells which limits how many spells can be in play and might potentially be lost prior to your readied action being triggered.

Then there is the general case that characters readying for the blinking opponent to reappear are going to have to be using ranged weapons, which are not necessarily the primary form of offense for the character, because the opponent with blink gets to choose what space they reappear in so it might be possible for them to stay out of reach of readied melee attacks.

Is it the best defense? No. Does it alter what strategy the party uses in a way that potentially reduces offensive potential? Definitely - and that makes it useful.

Werebat

Explorer
Ah -- see, I was running it at least partly wrong, because players with Extra Attack were insisting that this ability allowed them to get extra attacks when they readied an action (because they all happen as part of the same attack action).

I also had not realized that one must concentrate on a readied spell. That would have changed things a bit as well.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
Ah -- see, I was running it at least partly wrong, because players with Extra Attack were insisting that this ability allowed them to get extra attacks when they readied an action (because they all happen as part of the same attack action).

Can someone step me through the RAW on this? I like the idea, but I'm not reading the rules the same.

ATTACK is an action. "Certain features, such as the Extra Attack feature of the fighter, allow you to make more than one attack with this action." So, I read this as multiple attacks in ONE action.

The READY action allows you to act later in the round using your reaction. Bascially, you convert an action to a reaction. So, in this case I convert my ATTACK action to a reaction. The multiple attacks are still that one action.

Perhaps the confusion comes from the line "Remember that you can take only one reaction per turn." I read this to mean that if I ready an attack (if the blink dog appears within melee range, I strike), once my reaction is triggered, I'm done. I don't get to react to the second blink dog that comes within melee range in the same turn.

I think your players are correct. If a fighter with multiple attacks, readies an attack action, that fighter can take the multiple attacks as a reaction, but they have to be take all at one. They don't get two reactions if they have two attacks. They have to take both attacks as soon as the reaction is triggered.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
Read Extra Attack.

It specifically says "on your turn".

Of course this is easy to miss.

Sent from my C6603 using EN World mobile app

Yep, there it is: "EXTRA ATTACK: Beginning at 5th levei, you can attack twice, instead of once, whenever you take the Attack action on your turn."

Well, good. I like it better that way.

[MENTION=6701872]AaronOfBarbaria[/MENTION] and [MENTION=12731]CapnZapp[/MENTION] are correct on the RAW. I allow readied Extra Attacks, though, because I feel like warrior classes otherwise lose too much when they have to resort to this tactic. Your mileage may vary.

CapnZapp

Legend
[MENTION=6701872]AaronOfBarbaria[/MENTION] and [MENTION=12731]CapnZapp[/MENTION] are correct on the RAW. I allow readied Extra Attacks, though, because I feel like warrior classes otherwise lose too much when they have to resort to this tactic. Your mileage may vary.
Hey, if it works for you...

The reason, however, for this is a good one: a game with readied or delayed actions is a slower, more complex game; a less immediately satisfying game.

I am convinced that rule is there for a reason - to gently dissuade people from taking readied actions.

In almost all cases, it's better to not optimize and simply go for it. On the other hand, this puts some spotlight on the DM too. Perhaps not use blinking monsters only, so that the fighters have something to attack even when the blinker is blinking?

GX.Sigma

Adventurer
Can someone step me through the RAW on this? I like the idea, but I'm not reading the rules the same.

EXTRA ATTACK
Beginning at 5th level, you can attack twice, instead of once, whenever you take the Attack action on your turn.

Edit: Whoa, I rolled really low initiative.

Remove ads