• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Blink and the single monster

CapnZapp

Legend
I still don't find it quite logical to gimp some classes less than others.
This sentence implies the imbalance was intentional. It most probably was not - the logic is that implementing readied actions this was was simple, fast, and easy. In other words - good enough.

So yes, some classes are impacted more. And you might even say the difference in impact is significant.

But all of this forgets the greater issue - that readied actions are meant to be used sparingly. Even a significant imbalance can be insignificant if it comes into play seldom enough.

So overall the general idea is to encourage characters to seek out other courses of action than one that requires you to stop and ready an action. As long as you can do something else: do that instead.

That a rogue might be less inclined to do so can be chalked up to their cunning :)

Point is: even if this isn't a direct result of the rules, it's not inappropriate that out of all heroes, the rogue is the one least confounded by something like blink! And even if you don't buy this argument, the reason is that it wasn't considered important enough to make an exception for single-big attackers like rogues (and perhaps a smiting paladin).

(If you now go "but what about the Wizard - having to ready a spell is a major pain in the rear?" my response is "A competent Wizard would have dispelled the pesky magic instead of allowing herself to be led into readying actions by it!")

Barolo

First Post
This sentence implies the imbalance was intentional. It most probably was not - the logic is that implementing readied actions this was was simple, fast, and easy. In other words - good enough.

So yes, some classes are impacted more. And you might even say the difference in impact is significant.

But all of this forgets the greater issue - that readied actions are meant to be used sparingly. Even a significant imbalance can be insignificant if it comes into play seldom enough.

So overall the general idea is to encourage characters to seek out other courses of action than one that requires you to stop and ready an action. As long as you can do something else: do that instead.

That a rogue might be less inclined to do so can be chalked up to their cunning :)

Point is: even if this isn't a direct result of the rules, it's not inappropriate that out of all heroes, the rogue is the one least confounded by something like blink! And even if you don't buy this argument, the reason is that it wasn't considered important enough to make an exception for single-big attackers like rogues (and perhaps a smiting paladin).

(If you now go "but what about the Wizard - having to ready a spell is a major pain in the rear?" my response is "A competent Wizard would have dispelled the pesky magic instead of allowing herself to be led into readying actions by it!")

Thanks for the insight.

Glenn Riter

First Post
I have to admit... I don't feel bad for Fighters/Barbarians being *gasp* inconvenienced by a spell. It really does incentivize trying to avoid readied actions... And the fighter/barbarian types are highly effective in the overwhelming majority of in game battles. If you follow the in game guidelines in terms of encounters per day most other classes and most especially the casters have more resource management concerns in battle after battle, so they have to limit themselves to cantrips for the vast majority of their actions. By 11th level a straight wizard is throwing firebolts for an average of 16.5 damage per round assuming that they hit... Which is hardly as satisfying as a "normal" attack round from a fighter or barbarian who scores hits. I'm not saying wizard types are underpowered... I'm saying that they are balanced differently to be effective in the situations where fighters are less effective and vice-versa. As far as the rogue performing the "best" when fighting blinked opponents? I can't help but say that it is wonderfully appropriate for them to really shine in a game of cat and mouse. There was a lot of play testing involved in this edition of D&D, and it shows. Your barbarian might be upset that he can't absolutely rock in this situation like he did in the 500 fights leading up to it, sure, he's used to performing very well in combat... But it's good to see them switch things up from time to time.

Remove ads