D&D 5E Blogatog: "[AFR is] looking to be one of the best-selling sets in the history of the game."

LadyElect

Explorer
Wow. Ok, first of all, with so many of you being old guard, might I suggest you take a look at the pre-modern format?
I hadn't seen this before, but this is super interesting! I have a fondness for the Tempest and Onslaught blocks especially. My playgroup has fallen out of playing anything more than cube recently, but I'll have to see if they'd be down to give this a go for me at least once.

Wow. Ok, first of all, with so many of you being old guard, might I suggest you take a look at the pre-modern format?

(It looks interesting enough. I would get involved, but I own only a handful of cards older than kamigawa)

That ship has sailed with the MH series. A few of the mythics are more intended as staples that people need four of.

It depends highly on where you are. I live on the other end of NA. Back at the time where they were first available, I couldn't find Commander Legends, Time Spiral or even Jumpstart anywhere. And they were going as high as $250 or even $300 the box. And as far as shortages with AFR are, I've still yet to find any vendor asking over $140.

That's the fundamental difference. With this new Commander Legends set, I won't be able to find boxes anywhere. My only chance will be if my LGS gets allocated any of them (and they tend to get very little to none of non-standard releases). But if not -a very likely case- I won't be able to afford any, at least not for a very long time. (At least Commander legends seems to be back to a healthy $150 per box). Simply put, non-standard sets are very frustrating to meaningfully collect if you live south of the Bravo River.

Commander Legends & Jumpstart is print on Demand product, not limited run like AFR is, so once printing stops being a complete nightmare, I full expect prices to drop, because they will finally be able to actually print to demand, which thanks to the Pandemic they can't, it's made a mess of production.

As for Modern I wouldn't touch it with 10 foot pole.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I used to think my plastic-crack Games Workshop miniature habit was bad, but y'all are spending this much on paper?
To be fair, Warhammer is just expensive, period. Playing Magic casually isn't pricey at all, and keep in mind that 90% of Magic players have never even attended a competitive event. People who ever even build a competitive deck are already the 10%, let alone keep up with spending over time.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
This is why Commander and its little brothers Brawl and Brawl Historic 100 on Arena dominate in popularity. If you didn't start decades ago or aren't rich, don't both with other formats except stuff like Draft and Jumpstart maybe, or one of Arena weird formats like Omniscience.
Jumpstart is actually one of my favorite ways to play: just pick up some cards and go, and it just works. A lot of design work for WotC, but it pays off.

MoonSong

Rules-lawyering drama queen but not a munchkin
I hadn't seen this before, but this is super interesting! I have a fondness for the Tempest and Onslaught blocks especially. My playgroup has fallen out of playing anything more than cube recently, but I'll have to see if they'd be down to give this a go for me at least once.
My white whale is an specific card from Odyssey. Not the most expensive of cards, but still hard to find in the wild.

@Henadic Theologian the format I mentioned is pre-modern. It excludes cards from modern and focuses on the sweet spot after most of the reserved list was finalized but before seventh edition

Zardnaar

Legend
Competitive format I would like would be some sort of pick your standard (after bannings etc) from 4E onwards.

By that any deck used would have to be standard legal. And you use it vs any other former standard legel set.

MoonSong

Rules-lawyering drama queen but not a munchkin
Is it pricy like Modern?
Take into account it is a format with old cards and some are reserve list cards, about 22 cards are over $100, 16 between $50 and $100, and 79 between $20 and $50. Of those cards 66 are reserved list cards, and of course the fetchlands are also there. So, not so bad overall? the biggest problem is finding these old cards/identifying reprints, but many older players already own the cards, that's why I suggest it.

What card?
Vampiric Dragon. I've always been into Rakdos colors (over time I shifted into Mardu as I became more and more of a white player. I guess I outgrew my edgy teen phase?), and back then it was like the one card I wanted. I know it is expensive to cast for what it is, but heck that card was very cool -and expensive- back in the day, and now nobody has it.

Remove ads