D&D 5E Blogatog: "[AFR is] looking to be one of the best-selling sets in the history of the game."

Scribe

Legend
That’s how I felt about my Naya Zoo deck before it took a bunch of hits. I was tempted back when Death’s Shadow gained momentum but it just wasn’t the same.
Naya Zoo, that brings me back. I still believe that the meta before Battle for Zendikar was the best Modern, and the best competitive format the game has seen.

LadyElect

Explorer
Naya Zoo, that brings me back. I still believe that the meta before Battle for Zendikar was the best Modern, and the best competitive format the game has seen.
Oh yeah, I was quite happy when Atarka's Command released just before that, and I got to experiment with some goofy Steppe Lynx combos in my "oops, all cats" experiment. It was just meta-adjacent enough at the time to have lots of fun with in local tournaments, but once the Eldrazi meta hit it quickly lost even any mid-tier footholds.

But the history of Wild Nacatl was already a roller coaster so perhaps it was just its time again. 😭

Scribe

Legend
Oh yeah, I was quite happy when Atarka's Command released just before that, and I got to experiment with some goofy Steppe Lynx combos in my "oops, all cats" experiment. It was just meta-adjacent enough at the time to have lots of fun with in local tournaments, but once the Eldrazi meta hit it quickly lost even any mid-tier footholds.

But the history of Wild Nacatl was already a roller coaster so perhaps it was just its time again. 😭

I still, STILL, am tilted over the Eldrazi.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
This is why Commander and its little brothers Brawl and Brawl Historic 100 on Arena dominate in popularity. If you didn't start decades ago or aren't rich, don't both with other formats except stuff like Draft and Jumpstart maybe, or one of Arena weird formats like Omniscience.
I mean, I initially bought into modern because I figured though it was a bigger initial investment than standard, it would be less expensive in the long-term since I would only occasionally need to buy a few new cards that fit into my deck instead of having to constantly keep up with standard rotation. A naïve idea in hindsight, but at the time the only other non-rotating format was legacy, which was much more stable at the time than modern would end up becoming thanks to FIRE design or whatever that acronym is.

Scribe

Legend
I mean, I initially bought into modern because I figured though it was a bigger initial investment than standard, it would be less expensive in the long-term since I would only occasionally need to buy a few new cards that fit into my deck instead of having to constantly keep up with standard rotation. A naïve idea in hindsight, but at the time the only other non-rotating format was legacy, which was much more stable at the time than modern would end up becoming thanks to FIRE design or whatever that acronym is.
It wasn't wrong. If you bought in on a deck that had staying power and didnt get banned, it worked fine.

The problem was Wizards dishonesty around banning decks, but...thats a rant for another place and time. :)

LadyElect

Explorer
It wasn't wrong. If you bought in on a deck that had staying power and didnt get banned, it worked fine.

The problem was Wizards dishonesty around banning decks, but...thats a rant for another place and time. :)
Let’s get a full reset on the ban list and see what shakes out just for fun. I want to see how Pod has evolved.

MoonSong

Rules-lawyering drama queen but not a munchkin
Wow. Ok, first of all, with so many of you being old guard, might I suggest you take a look at the pre-modern format?

(It looks interesting enough. I would get involved, but I own only a handful of cards older than kamigawa)
They never claimed mythic rares wouldn’t be good. They just claimed they would be splashy cards, not low-key competitive staples like lands.
That ship has sailed with the MH series. A few of the mythics are more intended as staples that people need four of.
That depends entirely on the product, a Booster Box of Commander Legends costs $190cad on Amazon.ca which is a "Supplemental" none standard set, where as Standard Legal Draft AFR Booster Box is $220cad.

I think it's stuff targeted towards Modern Format that's super expensive, like a remotely competitive Modern Deck is around $1000usd at the LOW end as I understand, you can buy Commander Precon decks for what $20usd?

So if it's designed as Forgotten Realms Commander Legends style set or say D&D Jumpstart, then the price won't be too much higher then Standard Legal, of it Modern Horizons D&D then yeah, it'll cost you a fortune.
It depends highly on where you are. I live on the other end of NA. Back at the time where they were first available, I couldn't find Commander Legends, Time Spiral or even Jumpstart anywhere. And they were going as high as $250 or even $300 the box. And as far as shortages with AFR are, I've still yet to find any vendor asking over $140.

That's the fundamental difference. With this new Commander Legends set, I won't be able to find boxes anywhere. My only chance will be if my LGS gets allocated any of them (and they tend to get very little to none of non-standard releases). But if not -a very likely case- I won't be able to afford any, at least not for a very long time. (At least Commander legends seems to be back to a healthy $150 per box). Simply put, non-standard sets are very frustrating to meaningfully collect if you live south of the Bravo River.

Remove ads