• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Blood and Vigilance

ledded

Herder of monkies
Vigilance said:
Ledded- its pretty easy to segue modern into supers, depending on the campaign- my players were special ops characters asked to volunteer for an experiment. This allowed me to playtest BNV, and them to not have to make new characters, and it was an interesting twist. :)

I am hard at work on my first fantasy book right now (Excalibur: Arthurian Adventures), the player's guide is done and I am starting work on the GM guide for it.

After that, which shouldnt be long really (Im a maniac and I have no life), Gadgets will be next on my list.

Chuck

That sounds interesting, though in our current running modern campaign we are a low-powered low-FX group of "normals" (we dont have any super-soldiers, spies, spec op's, jackie chan's, etc) so I would go with a brand new campaign. It shouldnt be very hard to get them to try a supers game out, so I expect sometime in the future you will get a few more buyers for the book.

C. Baize

First Post
ledded said:
That sounds interesting, though in our current running modern campaign we are a low-powered low-FX group of "normals" (we dont have any super-soldiers, spies, spec op's, jackie chan's, etc) so I would go with a brand new campaign. It shouldnt be very hard to get them to try a supers game out, so I expect sometime in the future you will get a few more buyers for the book.

Rock on! And if your writing style is anywhere in the neighborhood of being as good as Old Drew Id's... PLEASE post Story Hours. :)

My wife did up a couple of stories on some of our early games and did them from the point of view of a T.V. News Reporter... they're up on my website, and will certainly not be posted in Story Hour, here... they contain too much "vulgarity". :)

ledded

Herder of monkies
C. Baize said:
Rock on! And if your writing style is anywhere in the neighborhood of being as good as Old Drew Id's... PLEASE post Story Hours. :)

My wife did up a couple of stories on some of our early games and did them from the point of view of a T.V. News Reporter... they're up on my website, and will certainly not be posted in Story Hour, here... they contain too much "vulgarity". :)

Well, when we do this, I will do a Story Hour if for no better reason than to practice my rudimentary writing (and for fun). I'm nowhere as good as OldDrewId, though I am getting some of the kinks out and dusting it off a bit. If you would like to see an example of my writing though, OldDrewId recently posted a couple updates that I wrote as a 'between episodes' short story for my character in the Medallions Story Hour (and gave me credit, even though he did a little editing). I have done a couple of those, and he has been good enough to take them into the Medallions SH fold and post 'em in his thread.

I know what you mean about the "vulgarity"... OldDrewId edited out a good bit of the profanity in my short story for the boards (hey, you can't tell a story about a down-on-his-luck P.I. getting mixed up in voodoo without a few *&^%'s and @#$$!*&'s).

I would love to do a SH for a supers game though, I could recall all my old cliche comic book memories and put a new spin on them. It's really easy with our group, though, because most everyone is so creative and funny that it just begs to be written down every time we play ;^)

I read Blood and Vigilance a little more this weekend and I'm getting more and more excited about running a game in it; it's really good stuff.

(could you post a link to your website where the aforementioned stories are? thanks)

Last edited:

C. Baize

First Post
ledded said:
(could you post a link to your website where the aforementioned stories are? thanks)

Certainly!
Just click the link, select your viewing preference. Go to "Games" then "Vigilance" and there's links in the different stories that are on that page...
It's definitely worth the read in my opinion. My wife writes good stuff. (see Modern Backdrops. :) )

This is a direct link to the story, itself... I don't know if it's a problem with her page, or if it's my browser, but I had to highlight the page to see the text. I've never had that problem with it, before... *grumble*

Last edited:

ledded

Herder of monkies
C. Baize said:
Certainly!
Just click the link, select your viewing preference. Go to "Games" then "Vigilance" and there's links in the different stories that are on that page...
It's definitely worth the read in my opinion. My wife writes good stuff. (see Modern Backdrops. :) )

This is a direct link to the story, itself... I don't know if it's a problem with her page, or if it's my browser, but I had to highlight the page to see the text. I've never had that problem with it, before... *grumble*

Niiiiice. A good read, thanks for the link. I forgot that she did Modern Backdrops... a guy in our group (PierceAtWork) has it and loves it. I've given it a look over and it's great stuff, tell her that she gets a big thumbs up from our group.

Pierce

First Post
Hey guys, a couple of quick questions on Blood and Vigilance.

1. On the Blast suite of powers, the save DCs are listed as 10+2 per Power Point. I'm assuming this should be 10+1 per 2 Power Points? Otherwise the DC for the standard 1st level Blast (with 4 PP invested) is 18!

2. In the description of the Animal Companion, you make mention of a Mystic Encounter origin. I assume this origin got dropped in the editing process. Any reason why? It seems like a good origin concept.

Thanks!

Pierce

First Post
Double Post

This post is brought to by the letters D, P and the number 2. And by the wonders of double posting!

Last edited:

Vigilance

Explorer
Pierce, you are absolutely right. +1 DC to the save per 2 power points.

Nice catch :)

On the Mystic, we made a decision to limit the book, trying to keep the focus very tight. Mystic got dropped because I didnt want to do a seperate take on the magic system right then.

So blame me, the lazy writer :)

Chuck

Pierce

First Post
OK, now that I have your attention ;) , I've got a few more questions.

- Can Absorption (Physical, Ranged) or Deflection (Physical) negate damage from gunfire/explosions/other mundane sources or are these powers simply meant to counteract Blast(Physical), Aura, etc?

- From reading over the power stunts section (p 25), I get the feeling that you may use one sub-ability of every power you buy for free (no AP/stunt). Basically, there are three scenarios:
1) Sub-ability has same name as power - no AP/stunt needed (e.g. Danger Sense, Desolidification)
2) Sub-abilities are exclusive and have essentially the same name as the power (Blast, Deflection)
3) Sub-abilities are general and one has essentially the same name (Enhanced Senses)
What of those powers which don't neatly fit into any of these situations? For example, Regeneration contains Fast Healing, Regrowth and Slow Aging. Is Fast Healing essentially the same thing? Can the character make use of it with out the expenditure of an AP or stunt?

- The Regeneration example brings me to another question. Each of the sub-abilities under Regen are Permanent duration. Does this mean that simply at some point in the character's career he needs to spend one AP and activate Regrowth (for instance) and that forever after he can make use of the sub-ability?

- A question about those sub-abilities which grant powers at a rate of 1/4 PPs (again, Regen is a good example). I've got a character taking his 5th level as Soldier. He has never had Regen before - he's manifesting it now (since it's now a class power:)). Since he only has 3 PPs to spend, he puts 2 into Regen and 1 into something else. Now, can he Regen one HP per 2 rounds as opposed to the 1 HP/round per 4 PP listed? What about those powers which aren't so easily handled - Telepathy's Mind Link sub-ability is a good example. If I only have 1 or 2 PPs in Telepathy, can I still Mind Link at all (Link 1 willing subject per 4 PPs)?

Sorry about the Flurry of Questions (it's a class ability). We're finally playing a BnV scenario tonight (fun fun!) and I've been poring over the rules making characters.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads