• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Blood on White Petals

trancejeremy

Adventurer
This is one of the AEG mini-modules, for characters levels 2-5, though it's pretty easy to scale up. They've upped the price to $2.99 (the original ones were priced at a more reasonable $2.49. It's written by Ree Soesbee, which is the main reason why I picked it up - I really liked her "Jerimond's Orb" (another mini-module). If you're not familiar with the mini-module format, basically it's about 8-10 regular sized pieces of paper folded over, so it looks like it's 15-16 small pages.

This actually is set in an asian setting, presumably using the Oriental Adventures rules. Presumably they can do it via their Rokugan license (there's a mini ad for it inside this), though I'm not sure if it actually uses anything from the OA rules or not. But if you're like me, and don't have those books, it's no big deal.

Anyway, I don't want to go into spoilers, but the basic plot is pretty sick. Something out of a horror movie. As is the tone of the adventure. Basically, a big nasty evil thing has taken control over a village, and it's up to the PCs to investigate it's lair and kill it. While it's a fairly simple plot, there's a well done (and somewhat gory) backstory to it.

Some parts are a bit tough for 2nd level characters. I think it's more suited to 4th level or so. It's mostly hack and slash, but it's not mindless - a lot is searching a place, and getting attacked by odd things.

It's got a new monster, a type of demon, and a new magic item, which is basically the demon's belt, and is completely worthless to PCs.

I really really liked this adventure. There's not much resuable in it, except maybe the map, but it's a nice enough adventure. It's also easily adaptable to horror d20 settings, such as Deadlands d20 or Weird Wars d20 (I used it for the former), and probably even Call of Cthulhu d20 (which I don't have yet, but really really want. I know, I should stop buying these mini modules and just save up for the CoC d20 book. But I have no willpower).

I give this an A-. Fun, well written, easy to use. Only downsides are that you can really only use it once, but most adventures suffer from that. But very little reusable material, unlike some adventures.

Psion

Adventurer
I ran this one with 4 4th level OA characters. I think that it is a bit rough even for 4th level -- the "routine" encounters were fairly taxing, both to the party and my patience. I think that this adventure would more properly be classified as 4th-6th level characters.

I really like the ending, though. Had a very unique Asian-feeling magic to it!

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads