Blu-Ray players and movies

John Crichton

First Post
Nope, just the HD size. If you ever want more size you can always put in a larger HD.

Honestly, I'd just get the machine with the best game bundle. :)

Rackhir

Explorer
Ok we will be getting a PS3 and was wandering which one to get, the 120 GB or 250 GB hard drive? Does it make any real difference between the two?

The PS3 uses a standard 2.5" (notebook) SATA HD. So if you really need more space, you can just buy one. Put it in an external USB case and the PS3 can backup it's self up to the external HD. Then swap the drives (a fairly simple operation) and SHAZAM you've got a much larger HD. So I'd just get the 120 gb model and buy a larger HD should you need one. I've had my PS3 for about 2 yrs and only recently filled the drive. A couple of quick demo deletions and installed files for other games and I was fine.

You're only going to need a large HD if you plan on storing a lot of music/video files on it and/or get heavily into downloaded games.

Janx

Hero
The PS3 uses a standard 2.5" (notebook) SATA HD. So if you really need more space, you can just buy one. Put it in an external USB case and the PS3 can backup it's self up to the external HD. Then swap the drives (a fairly simple operation) and SHAZAM you've got a much larger HD. So I'd just get the 120 gb model and buy a larger HD should you need one. I've had my PS3 for about 2 yrs and only recently filled the drive. A couple of quick demo deletions and installed files for other games and I was fine.

You're only going to need a large HD if you plan on storing a lot of music/video files on it and/or get heavily into downloaded games.

I own a ps3, and part of your process sounds wrong, though the intent is good.

The PS3 wil back itself up to an external drive FAT32 format in a sub-directory. You can't back it up to the "bigger' driver, and then pop the bigger drive into the PS3, because the PS3 needs the drive to be in a different format.

To do what you're saying, yoy need 3 drives. the original PS3, the new bigger drive, and a USB drive that is big enough to do a backup.

On what size to get, I have a an original 60GB model. If you're not saving movies on it (or music), it'll be enough space. I still have 30+ GB available, and the new models come with more disk.

Just get the smaller unit. If you really need space, it is very easy/cheap to upgrade. I still have space on my 360, and that's only 20GB. The drive it comes with will be fine.

If you do want to store music/movies, I recommend an external solution so it is portable between systems. Use either an external USB drive, or a file server.

I use a Dlink 321 Network Attached Storage (NAS) with 2x 640GB drives, mirrored (RAID1). It is a network drive. My PS3, 360 and all my PCs see it. So I can rip movies/music and store it on the NAS, and both my game systems see it. Plus, as a mirrored drive system, if a drive goes bad, I don't lose my data.

Remove ads