• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Blue Rose RPG Coming to 5e D&D

Ace

Adventurer
In what way is it "explicitely queer and poly friendly"? Also, in addition to the "romantic fantasy" theme, is romantic love part of the setting?

The main inspiration Mercedes Lackey's Last Herald Mage trilogy had one of the first openly gay protagonists, Vanyel Ashkeveron . What set him apart was that while his societies reaction to his sexuality challenged him at times, it didn't define him. His heroism did. A great hero who happens to be gay isn't exactly common even in 2020.

Now back in the late 80's early 90's this was a huge risk and a big deal but Lackey being a heck of a writer made it work and even created a solid setting where the general acceptance of all kinds families and of relationships between consenting adults is a setting assumption of the good guys.

Blue Rose makes sure that its Aldea setting shares those values , discusses it as needed , even expanding it a bit as polyamory wasn't really on the radar back in the day. I think they do a pretty good job if a tad heavy handed sometimes.

Fair warning, this will require a bit of buy in for some players though the setting is interesting enough that if you are like me and your games are PG13 at most, it doesn't matter.

Last edited:

Dire Bare

Legend
Thank you! I'm glad it's queer-friendly--that's important to me. A few more questions: what are the deities like (if there are any), and how much source material is available?
Here's the DriveThruRPG page for Blue Rose. This seems to be mostly the AGE system books, I don't think Green Ronin makes the older True 20 version books available digitally anymore. I don't think the True 20 version offered any lore that wasn't updated to the AGE system . . .

DriveThruRPG.com - Green Ronin Publishing - Blue Rose - The Largest RPG Download Store!

Outside the main book, there is a city guide to Aldis, the capital of the good-guy land Aldea. Most everything else seems to be adventures and novels/short stories. There is not an overwhelming amount of lore for Blue Rose.

Aldarc

Legend
Thank you! I'm glad it's queer-friendly--that's important to me. A few more questions: what are the deities like (if there are any), and how much source material is available?
The deities are fairly pagan-esque. A number of them have male and female forms, with several in queer relationships.

There is an initial set, the Primordials/Twilight Gods, who are the creators of the world and associated with the elements, seasons, etc.
  • Selene: winter, moon, death, secrets
  • Braniel: spring, stars, rain, music, dance, animals, plants
  • Maurenna: summer, agriculture, community, mother of the gods of Light
  • Anwaren: autumn, earth, mountains, strife, sovereignty, father of the Dark Exarchs
Anwaren was incidentally responsible for the creation of the Dark Exarchs (7 Deadly Sins analogues), though he has since repented of his hubris. But to combat the Dark Exarchs, the Gods of Light (7 Virtues) were born. The Gods of Light represent aspects of civilization.
  • Hiathas: god of the sun, beauty, dance, hope, lover of Braniel
  • Leonoth: god of the hearth, family, faithfulness, consort of Maurenna
  • Felisar: god of travelers, the sick, the poor, charity
  • Aulora: goddess of law, justice, and soldiers
  • Goia: goddess of commerce, artisanship, and prudence
  • Gaelenir: god of exploration, learning, sea, and fortitude
  • Athne: goddess of good fortune, plenty, wine, and temperance

In what way is it "explicitely queer and poly friendly"? Also, in addition to the "romantic fantasy" theme, is romantic love part of the setting?
The LGBTQ+ (and Hetero) relationships/marriages are normative in Aldea, with people who are attracted to only one gender/sex actually being in the minority. "Queer" relationships are seen as normal because Aldeans believe that spirits/souls are reincarnated as part of the Great Dance so the sex/gender of the person you fall in love with is less important than their spirit. People who do not fit gender binaries (laevvel) are also accepted (and considered blessed), and there are means available for the laevvel to undergo physical transitioning. Polyamorous relationships are not necessarily normative, but there are certain sub-cultures and regions of Aldea where it is a fairly normal practice (e.g., the Southern coasts).

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads