• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E BoardGameGeek at a 5e Seminar

Kinak

First Post
If they do release the entire levels 1-20 Basic rules online, I hope they eventually gather them in a single book. Mike said that breadth of material for the Basic game is going to be similar to the BECMI Rules Cyclopedia, and I remember it being a very full book that covered everything from mass combat to planes, in addition to monsters and magic items.

Also, some of the old school players who only want basic are probably going to prefer an actual hardcover than just a pdf or series of pdfs for it.
I wouldn't call myself "old school" but this is exactly where I'm at. The basic rules are the only product for 5e I was really interested in, so I guess we'll see if they're actually going to be a print product.

Obviously, if they offer them for free, I'll download them and take a look. But I can almost guarantee it won't get played in that format.

Cheers!
Kinak

Majoru Oakheart

Adventurer
If they do release the entire levels 1-20 Basic rules online, I hope they eventually gather them in a single book. Mike said that breadth of material for the Basic game is going to be similar to the BECMI Rules Cyclopedia, and I remember it being a very full book that covered everything from mass combat to planes, in addition to monsters and magic items.
Since the statement was that 15% of the PHB would appear online for free, one would think that it was printed as well in the PHB. It's just reprinted online for free.

Since the statement was that 15% of the PHB would appear online for free, one would think that it was printed as well in the PHB. It's just reprinted online for free.

Of course. What I'm saying is that some people will want the full Basic game in print without the Standard game. They won't want the PHB, they'll want the Rules Cyclopedia. I'd be surprised if they don't eventually publish one, but since we haven't heard about it, I'm guessing it won't come out until next year.

Count me as one of the people who would want it mostly as a collector, but I think it would also be fun every now and again just to play an old school dungeon delve with nothing but the Basic rules.

Of course, I wouldn't complain if it also free online.

TarionzCousin

Second Most Angelic Devil Ever
In unrelated thoughts, is anyone expecting a PHB+DMG+MM boxed set for the holidays?
Definitely... and I have an idea what they could call it, too.

attachment.php

Blackwarder

Adventurer

Also, some of the old school players who only want basic are probably going to prefer an actual hardcover than just a pdf or series of pdfs for it.

In unrelated thoughts, is anyone expecting a PHB+DMG+MM boxed set for the holidays?

He was asked about rules complexity, not breadth of material.

Warder

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024

Ya. I don't think it will be three tiers...or really even two tiers. Just lower level material in the starter set, with an online bridge to the PHB. Players and DMs will control complexity in the game as it gets out of the first few levels.

There is something coming, sure. But it won't be semi-advanced d&d. And if there is an SRD type product, it will be separate from this.

Majoru Oakheart

Adventurer
Ya. I don't think it will be three tiers...or really even two tiers. Just lower level material in the starter set, with an online bridge to the PHB. Players and DMs will control complexity in the game as it gets out of the first few levels.

There is something coming, sure. But it won't be semi-advanced d&d. And if there is an SRD type product, it will be separate from this.
I don't think there will be any character creation information at all in the Starter Set. The free online document will only be able to make BASIC characters. Which, unless I miss my guess, means that it'll create characters with no feats, no custom backgrounds, no subraces, and maybe will be restricted to the "basic" version of each character class. Also, possibly no custom equipment.

This means that character creation will be: Roll stats, pick a race, pick a class, pick a background, write down the equipment given to you by your class and background.

In other words, character creation in 2e except with a background and equipment made easier.

If you want to have a bunch of different class options for each class, subraces, feats, and information on how to create custom backgrounds, and multiclassing...you'll likely only find them in the PHB.

Remove ads