D&D 5E BoardGameGeek at a 5e Seminar

Blackwarder

Adventurer
Here is my theory, maybe someone came up with it before me but I haven't read the entire thread.

I think that the big thing is going to be the release the Basic version of D&D for free as an online PDF

Warder

jbear

First Post
I have been curious as well about how the levels of game complexity would play out in the product line.

It seems like if the Starter on its own was the Basic level, they would have said so.
Instead of the information dribbling out, I wish WOTC would just be forthcoming.
It's frustrating that stuff like the clarification on character creation vis-a-vis the starter box was not mentioned when the products were themselves announced.

Lol. While I agree with you completely in so far as I also wish I could see the full picture, I also whole heartedly disagree with you at the same time.

I think WotC are doing this REAL smart this time. People bag on them ALL the TIME, over the smallest things. They have had people angry at them and riled up against them for quite some time from different factions and over statements they have made but not been able to follow through on. Hell, I could get riled up if I wanted to. My favourite edition has been recently discontinued (I just dont like to waste my energies on pointless complaints).

But I think they are marketing this really well from the few bits and pieces that are out in the open so to speak. I take my hat off to them and wish them all the best.

Blackbrrd

First Post
My guess is BASIC is free:

15% PHB (48 pages) is the BASIC PHB
15% DMG (48 pages) is the BASIC DMG
15% MM (48 pages) is the BASIC MM

all 3 as free downloads. I think this because the playtest document is pretty close to this already and quite a number of people have it. If you remove many of the class options and spells, and some of the magic items, how to play , multiclass, etc. from the playtest you'd be pretty close to 48 pages x 3 = 144 (although they each could be more or less than 48 pages).

Starter Set is a BASIC adventure with dice (thus DM only)

The actual PHB is the STANDARD game
The actual DMG is the STANDARD game plus ADVANCED variants (sidebars with how to dial)
The actual MM is the STANDARD game plus ADVANCED variants (sidebars with how to dial) - given some of the info on the MM, I would not be surprised to find simple Orcs, Ogres, Carrio Crawlers, Zombies, etc ONLY in the free PDF with Orc Shamans, Orc Chiefs, Giant Zombies, etc in the MM

Real ADVANCED rules are likely to be splatbooks, where the sidebars are expanded upon. ie there might be a tactical (4e style) sidebar in the DMG but a whole book will likely come out down the road.

my speculative 2cp

I really like the idea of Basic D&D 5e. Looking at the page numbers 48x3 = 144, it should be more than enough to run a game and a good way to reduce the complexity for new players and dm's. Instead of 3x320 = 960 pages of stuff to go through, you have 144 pages, or <48 if you are a player. Much less daunting. I think the conversion rate from Basic D&D 5e to D&D 5e will be pretty good, bringing in new players and dm's. They could probably sell it as Basic D&D 5e, in addition to the free download. Personally, I think that would work out very well. It's much better to give away a nice 144 page book than it is to give away a printed pdf as a gift. ;)

I do think my original hope of a full, free game similar to the d20 srd is dwindling, which I think is a bit sad.

There may be another simple reason for the online pdf:

The starter box contents had to be finished at least one month before the PHB content. Most probably longer. To prevent any compability issues and crossfire for this starter set being incompatible with the rest of the edition (ala 4e red box... people jump at little things), they release the current, up to date, basic character building rules online, that are 100% compatible with the PHB.

jrowland

First Post
They could probably sell it as Basic D&D 5e, in addition to the free download. Personally, I think that would work out very well. It's much better to give away a nice 144 page book than it is to give away a printed pdf as a gift. ;)

A "Basic" book might very well be in the offering (certainly after the Core 3), that would be cool.

IIRC, books are typically printed in 32 page increments thus the core books are 320 (32x10). A 160 page "Basic" book would be pretty cool (ie 144 assumed pages plus full page art, chapter start pages, index, etc). Sell it at a "loss" MSRP of $19.99 to draw in not only newcomers, but even those with the "Standard" books who want a "basic" reference, collectors, etc.

P.S. - Speculating is fun

Blackbrrd

First Post
A "Basic" book might very well be in the offering (certainly after the Core 3), that would be cool.

IIRC, books are typically printed in 32 page increments thus the core books are 320 (32x10). A 160 page "Basic" book would be pretty cool (ie 144 assumed pages plus full page art, chapter start pages, index, etc). Sell it at a "loss" MSRP of $19.99 to draw in not only newcomers, but even those with the "Standard" books who want a "basic" reference, collectors, etc.

P.S. - Speculating is fun

The printing cost when you print 100k+ books is probably around 5$ for a 160 page full color book. 20$ would still give you a nice profit. ;)

Li Shenron

Legend
Theory: They will release an entire Basic set for free online. It would explain a fair bit.

I agree with the others that at this point this idea might be the most probable.

It sounds like a good move, and quite appropriate with the concept of "freemium" that is quite common these days. You get a "basic" product for free, but the full deal has a cost... Spotify and other streaming services do something like that for music, World of Warcraft is free until level 20th nowadays...

I wonder if this time, we don't get the "basic" game as the SRD...

I also wonder if such a move of making "Basic" available in a public SRD can have interesting implications to a possible OGL.

Talath

Explorer
The printing cost when you print 100k+ books is probably around 5$ for a 160 page full color book. 20$ would still give you a nice profit. ;)

That doesn't count labor and overhead, which could easily make. $5 book $15 or more, slimming those profit margins.

If they do release the entire levels 1-20 Basic rules online, I hope they eventually gather them in a single book. Mike said that breadth of material for the Basic game is going to be similar to the BECMI Rules Cyclopedia, and I remember it being a very full book that covered everything from mass combat to planes, in addition to monsters and magic items.

Also, some of the old school players who only want basic are probably going to prefer an actual hardcover than just a pdf or series of pdfs for it.

In unrelated thoughts, is anyone expecting a PHB+DMG+MM boxed set for the holidays?

Remove ads