D&D 5E BoardGameGeek at a 5e Seminar

tuxgeo

Adventurer
I really like what we're seeing so far. Minor gripes aside (character creation not physically in the box set, distaste for the cover fonts and layout) I think they are right on track to meet their goals for the game and brand and make most people happy.

Note that is just said "fifth edition" in lowercase text, rather than "5th Edition" or "Fifth Edition." I think that is a deliberate attempt to focus on the Dungeons & Dragons name, while admitting veterans need a term to differentiate it from prior editions. Smart move.

< remainder of post snipped for space >

I, on the other hand, do not think it is that. Rather, I think that is their editorial standards kicking in: the only things allowed to go UPPERCASE are (1) the first letter in a sentence, and (2) proper names. In this light, "Dungeons & Dragons" is a proper name (and even trademarked), but "fifth edition" is a mere descriptor. Seen that way, it isn't a matter of priorities at all -- it's merely the way the English-usage-guidebooks advise the editors to control against excessive capitalization.

variant

Adventurer
The box is for the DM. The freely available pdf is for everyone.

Want to start a group? Send out an email to players with a link to the char gen rules. Then everyone doesn't have to huddle around at the gaming table trying to all use your one book you got in the box. Seems like a good idea to me.

It should be a pdf in addition to it being a book. Not everyone has access to a tablet or a laptop to use at their table and DMs don't always have access to every player's email. There are a lot of scenarios where having a hardcopy of the rules is a must.

Agamon

Adventurer
It should be a pdf in addition to it being a book. Not everyone has access to a tablet or a laptop to use at their table and DMs don't always have access to every player's email. There are a lot of scenarios where having a hardcopy of the rules is a must.

Not lots of scenarios, the exact scenario where both your examples are the case, plus no one in the group has access to a printer. I do feel bad for all three of those groups (overestimate, likely, I know).

Seriously, my own experience is a small sample size, but of the 4 groups I currently play with, consisting of 17 different people, we all have access to each other emails, and every one of us has an available electronic device of some sort (whether laptop, tablet or smartphone).

So I apologise if the above scenario resembles the situation of someone reading this (which is, ironically, online), but it completely baffles me to be honest.

the Jester

Legend
Not lots of scenarios, the exact scenario where both your examples are the case, plus no one in the group has access to a printer. I do feel bad for all three of those groups (overestimate, likely, I know).

Seriously, my own experience is a small sample size, but of the 4 groups I currently play with, consisting of 17 different people, we all have access to each other emails, and every one of us has an available electronic device of some sort (whether laptop, tablet or smartphone).

So I apologise if the above scenario resembles the situation of someone reading this (which is, ironically, online), but it completely baffles me to be honest.

For the record, I have no device suitable for being at the table, though I'm pretty sure I do have online contact with all my players.

< remainder of post snipped for space >

I, on the other hand, do not think it is that. Rather, I think that is their editorial standards kicking in: the only things allowed to go UPPERCASE are (1) the first letter in a sentence, and (2) proper names. In this light, "Dungeons & Dragons" is a proper name (and even trademarked), but "fifth edition" is a mere descriptor. Seen that way, it isn't a matter of priorities at all -- it's merely the way the English-usage-guidebooks advise the editors to control against excessive capitalization.

Sure. But the blurb on the back of 4e includes: "The Player's Handbook features the 4th Edition game rules..." The 3.5 core books have "v.3.5" on the spine after the name.

So I stand by my assertions that it is intentionally in line with Mike's continued statements about just wanting to call it D&D. The concern I had was actually that they'd omit an edition numbering entirely, and the only way you would be able to differentiate it from other editions by looking at it was by referencing publication date. Would have been a real pain if you had to tell your new players, "Okay, only buy the books that have a listed publication date of 2014 or later."

SigmaOne

First Post
What I'm getting from Thaumaturge's post is that RPG Pundit, at least, still thinks there is something significant to come; that the PHB 15% was not the "ace in the hole". I'm somewhat new to RPG news addiction, so I don't know how much stock I should be putting in it all, but it's worth quoting his finishing statement:

Anyways, there's one other piece of news that some people might have missed. Something more important than it looks:

"... mentioned the rules will be for BASIC characters (emphasis from the WotC rep)"

Anyways, draw your own conclusions as to why I would highlight that out of everything. As usual, I'm not allowed to say anything one way or the other.

I'm still wondering... waiting...

Edit: The ... in the above quote was a reference to thalmin, which with ampersand constitutes a link, something I as a newbie cannot include.... that took me about four tries to figure out. Originally, I quoted Thaumaturge's previous post and link to RPG Pundit as well.

GX.Sigma

Adventurer

They could give out a physical copy for Free RPG Day...

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
What I'm getting from Thaumaturge's post is that RPG Pundit, at least, still thinks there is something significant to come

Here's part of a twitter conversation:

intensewiz: Is that what you were talking about?
Mike: It's part of it, and the key part for the starter set.

Given that Mike has said that we'll be able to run a full campaign, there looks like there will also be DM tools/pdfs coming

Cheers!

GX.Sigma

Adventurer
Here's part of a twitter conversation:

intensewiz: Is that what you were talking about?
Mike: It's part of it, and the key part for the starter set.

Given that Mike has said that we'll be able to run a full campaign, there looks like there will also be DM tools/pdfs coming

Cheers!

Pundit said that "15% of the PHB" was an underwhelming and inaccurate description of it, then emphasized the word "basic." My guess is that there was going to be an entire free "basic" rule set, and Pundit was confused when they only announced the character creation part.

Last edited:

lkj

Hero
Theory: They will release an entire Basic set for free online. It would explain a fair bit.

I have no proof. I'm probably wrong. But it's my best current hopeful guess.

AD

Remove ads