D&D 5E BoardGameGeek at a 5e Seminar

Blackwarder

Adventurer
I'm sure that's just a rhetorical question, but in case it isn't - you don't print another 48 page book and put it in the box mainly so you don't have to print another 48 page book and put it in the box. They clearly identified that $20 as the price point they wanted to aim at, and the customers they're aiming at (hint - not you and not me) won't miss character generation rules they don't even know could exist. Then they find a note in the book saying "Hey, didja like playing those heroes? Guess what! You can make your OWN! Just head to this URL!" and they go "What? Really? Cool! I'll check that out!"

Exactly! and than they get exposed not only to the free PDFs but to all the other things D&D got to offer; "ohhh shiny miniatures!" "WoW! a Players Handbook!! I wonder what's in it" "Dude! you won't believe what I saw at the D&D site, there's this big book filed with monsters!!!"

Warder

I really like what we're seeing so far. Minor gripes aside (character creation not physically in the box set, distaste for the cover fonts and layout) I think they are right on track to meet their goals for the game and brand and make most people happy.

Note that is just said "fifth edition" in lowercase text, rather than "5th Edition" or "Fifth Edition." I think that is a deliberate attempt to focus on the Dungeons & Dragons name, while admitting veterans need a term to differentiate it from prior editions. Smart move.

They also appear to be directing new players to start with the Starter Set, and then have the other three books as individual options. Ie, you can start with the Starter Set then mix and match whichever of the additional books you want, and they aren't dependent on each other.

If the setting inclusiveness we're hoping for materializes, they will give you enough info in the core books to provide you what you need to more or less update prior campaign settings mechanically, and then will be able to gradually put on campaign setting books for some of the biggest ones. But even with just the core books, you'll find that a Neidar is a hill dwarf (and hence have the rules for it), while the DMG might include Kender (heck, it's including Eberron's Warforged), giving you most of the crunch definition you need to run a Dragonlance campaign with your old fluff. If they produce the setting you can probably expect a Knight of Solamnia subclass for even greater 5e adaptation.

They are also focusing on ease of access for organized play. That's irrelevant for me since it isn't even an option in my current location, and I admit it isn't my style anyway, but it's a great business decision.

I'm expecting an online character builder, and I wouldn't be surprised if there were other tools also. Some of it may be free, and some may be subscription. Android and iPhone apps will certainly be present.

Then they're leveraging the brand through all the transmedia.

This is definitely the best designed D&D release ever. They really seem to be taking all of the lessons learned from the past, integrating modern technology, and trying to make the most of D&D.

Talath

Explorer
Damn you Thaumaturge! You scooped me! By several hours! I'm glad this information was shared!

Last edited:

Thaumaturge

Wandering. Not lost. (He/they)
Damn you Thaumaturge! You scooped me! By several hours! I'm glad this information could was shared!

I'm glad to be of service. I'm a stay-at-home dad and a writer, so I've got nothing better to do than stare at twitter. :lol:

Thaumaturge.

the Jester

Legend
The fact that the chargen stuff is a pdf assuages my remaining reservations about this (I was a tiny bit worried that they might not have a very print-friendly format for it).

Talath

Explorer
The fact that the chargen stuff is a pdf assuages my remaining reservations about this (I was a tiny bit worried that they might not have a very print-friendly format for it).

Honestly I hope it looks just like the playtest PDF: no illustrations or background and simple layout.

Agamon

Adventurer
Huh. That seems really weird to me. I mean, what is the starter set? It's a box with two booklets in it... and you have to get the third booklet somewhere else. Why not have all three in the box?

The box is for the DM. The freely available pdf is for everyone.

Want to start a group? Send out an email to players with a link to the char gen rules. Then everyone doesn't have to huddle around at the gaming table trying to all use your one book you got in the box. Seems like a good idea to me.

Thaumaturge

Wandering. Not lost. (He/they)
Honestly I hope it looks just like the playtest PDF: no illustrations or background and simple layout.

If it's no frills and functional, I might well use it for all of my character creation even with (expected) multiple PHBs in the same house with me.

Thaumaturge.

GX.Sigma

Adventurer
The box is for the DM. The freely available pdf is for everyone.

Want to start a group? Send out an email to players with a link to the char gen rules. Then everyone doesn't have to huddle around at the gaming table trying to all use your one book you got in the box. Seems like a good idea to me.
That actually makes a lot of sense.

Agamon

Adventurer
Note that is just said "fifth edition" in lowercase text, rather than "5th Edition" or "Fifth Edition." I think that is a deliberate attempt to focus on the Dungeons & Dragons name, while admitting veterans need a term to differentiate it from prior editions. Smart move.

The fact that it is on the back and in lower case, just makes it look like a "cover your butt" move. With the reprints, there are now all editions of D&D on store shelves. I'd say this just helps point out to newbs what edition the book is for. Those of us that chat on message boards can tell that by the cover without a blurb on the back.

Remove ads