D&D 5E BoardGameGeek at a 5e Seminar

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
The fact that it is on the back and in lower case, just makes it look like a "cover your butt" move. With the reprints, there are now all editions of D&D on store shelves. I'd say this just helps point out to newbs what edition the book is for. Those of us that chat on message boards can tell that by the cover without a blurb on the back.

There is also all editions available at dndclassic.

People have to know what pdfs to buy.

GX.Sigma

Adventurer
Wait wait wait. This is actually brilliant.

The Starter Set is for people who are completely new to the hobby.
The free online rules (assuming they have a similar thing for the DM stuff) are for gamers who want to try out 5e, or just have a simple version of the game.
The rulebooks are for people who want the full game with all the options.

I had no idea this is what they meant by "basic/standard/advanced." The Starter Set isn't the basic rules... The basic rules are free!

The only disappointing thing: this probably means there's no OGL/SRD (because then it would be 100% of the PHB).

Thaumaturge

Wandering. Not lost. (He/they)
Wait wait wait. This is actually brilliant.

The Starter Set is for people who are completely new to the hobby.
The free online rules (assuming they have a similar thing for the DM stuff) are for gamers who want to try out 5e, or just have a simple version of the game.
The rulebooks are for people who want the full game with all the options.

I had no idea this is what they meant by "basic/standard/advanced." The Starter Set isn't the basic rules... The basic rules are free!

The only disappointing thing: this probably means there's no OGL/SRD (because then it would be 100% of the PHB).

It''s pretty cool. With the (free) character creation from the PHB and the rules from the starter set, a group can play the full game. They won't have access to tactical combat or warforged (both are in the DMG) or all of the feats and things in the PHB, but they are playing 5e for a really nice price.

Heck, if people were in the playtest, they might decide the starter set isn't necessary, and they can deduce the changes from the character creation document.

Thaumaturge.

Serendipity

Explorer
Man they really want new players directed at their website. Hopefully this is something they've prepped for.
Though the "box" thing mystifies me - weren't the last two (BASIC type) box sets made out of the crummiest, thinnest paper possible? I know mine were. (But the first one for 4e was the worst).

Riley

Legend
Supporter
Man they really want new players directed at their website. Hopefully this is something they've prepped for.
Though the "box" thing mystifies me - weren't the last two (BASIC type) box sets made out of the crummiest, thinnest paper possible? I know mine were. (But the first one for 4e was the worst).

The actual box for the 4e "Red Box" set is very solid, as are the Essentials boxes. The first 4e starter set and the 3e starter sets had terrible boxes.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
I think, given Pundit's reaction to this information, and the unknown nature of the "WOTC rep" who supposedly provided this information at a seminar, that people should not necessarily take this information at face value.

One of his comments was:

"If it is what this guy (some WoTC guy??) is talking about, then it is the absolute most underwhelming way possible to explain the news, and I would go so far as to accuse it of being inaccurate.

Its so off-mark from what I've heard that I wonder if this isn't just something different, some stopgap no one bothered to tell me about."

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Well, since I'm the one quoted, without attribution, on RPG Pundit, here, I figured I'd update the first post with more on where the information came from. I should have done this originally.

I grabbed BoardGameGeek's twitter feed. He attended ACD Distribution's 2014 Gamesday.

I wasn't there, but those are my sources.

Thaumaturge.

I think lots of people grabbed BGG's twitter feed - I know I did, and Jon Bolding at The Escapist did, too. It's a popular feed! That aside, Mearls confirmed it too, so there's no doubt as to its veracity.

Remove ads