• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Bob Bledsaw, man behind Judges Guild and the wilderlands

Mark

CreativeMountainGames.com
When we started gaming in 1974, we ran around on the Outdoor Survival boardgame map with occasional forays into random tombs of limited design. That is until Judges Guild started producing materials our DM decided to pick up at Gencon for the campaign he was running. It added a whole new dimension to our games right when they needed it most.

My thoughts are with you. Never tear up your own character sheet! Keep fighting and gaming, Bob Bledsaw!

Mystaros

First Post
Hi folks,

If you have received Bob's hospital number recently from Noble Knight Games, please do NOT call him! Posting this number was a terrible mistake. He's in radiation therapy every day, and needs his rest. If he's always getting calls, he will get no rest, which means his health will suffer!

If an when it is okay to call Bob, I will get a statement from the family to that effect.

If anyone can contact Lou Zocchi (I don't have his number) tell him to PLEASE stop giving Bob's number out to everyone!

Boregar

First Post
I don't have much experience of Judge's Guild products, but it is still terrible to hear this about an important figure in the history of the gaming community.

My thoughts are with him, and his friends and family.

Angel Tarragon

Dawn Dragon
Sad, sad news indeed.

It seems to me that first quarter of 2008 is reeling in deaths. I mean is just me or is when a member of your family dies it just seems that you become more attuned to deaths that you hear about? :confused:

Mystaros

First Post
New statement from the Bledsaw family

Hello All,

Of late, Bob has been at the mercy of the telephone calls which have been coming in.

It is really no one's fault, simply the success of the Guild, and the writing he did. It compells fans of his work to make a token show of respect, and they have said many kind things.

Although, it has troubled his sleep, and taxed his strength; he holds no hard feelings.

I asked if perhaps he wanted to make a statement of his own, and if so, what would it be?

To this he simply replied,"Frodo Lives!"

And so he does.

Bob Jr.

From an e-mail sent to me by Bob Jr.

James Mishler

Last edited:

deepcut

First Post
Mystaros

Please give you old man and the rest of your family my heartfelt wish for a recovery. My prayers are with Bob and the Bledsaw family. Have faith, and enjoy every moment that you can with your dad.

Always remember, your dad was a creative genius who inspired thousands of gamers with his titles. I have enjoyed both his AD&D and his Traveller work since I first got involved in gaming almost 30 years ago. And I still play them today.

Peace.

der_kluge

Adventurer
I admit most of the Judge's Guild stuff came out when I was a mere infant. I'd never even heard about it until the Wilderlands Boxed set came out and I picked it up at its release at Gen Con.

Since then, I've come to love the stuff, and Bob's ideas pretty much define my campaign, my game style, and my world. His mark is still being felt to those of us who weren't even familiar with his work when it was new.

Since then, I've picked up old issues of Pegasus and other Judge's Guild related products on eBay. I find them to be really hokey, of terrible production value, and exceedingly simple. I love them all!

I know it's probably not realistic to hope he gets better at this point. But I hope his passing is a peaceful and serene one. I also hope he knows how much joy his creations have brought to so many people.

Mystaros

First Post
deepcut said:
Please give you old man and the rest of your family my heartfelt wish for a recovery. My prayers are with Bob and the Bledsaw family. Have faith, and enjoy every moment that you can with your dad.

Always remember, your dad was a creative genius who inspired thousands of gamers with his titles. I have enjoyed both his AD&D and his Traveller work since I first got involved in gaming almost 30 years ago. And I still play them today.

Peace.

Deepcut,

Thanks, but Bob isn't my dad; I'm just passing on the e-mail I got from Bob Jr.

Still, all will be passed on to Bob! Thanks!

Shoulda put my name in under that and put it in quotes... will do that now.

Last edited:

RPG_Tweaker

Explorer
Bob Bledsaw is right up there with Gary Gygax as a great luminary that has influenced my birth and growth in D&D and roleplaying in general.

The Judges Guild produced modules and supplements that created a mood and flaveor that are still visible in the foundations of even my current campaigns.

Whether it's fantasy (The Wilderlands, CSIO, CSWE, Caverns of Thracia, and Dark Tower) or SciFi (The Gateway Quadrant, Dra'k'ne Station, and Doom of the Singing Star), JG products established an odd type of high quality irrespective of amateurish art, amateurish layout, or pulp-grade paper.

Bob may not be with us much longer in a physical sense, but he will always be a part of my psyche.

Remove ads