Bob Odenkirk and David Thewlis: ENWorld Decides

Bob Odenkirk? David Thewlis?

• Bob Odenkirk is the poor person's David Thewlis

Votes: 2 40.0%
  • David Thewlis is the poor person's Bob Odenkirk

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Eyes of Nine, actually, they aren't anything alike, and here's why...

Votes: 3 60.0%

Eyes of Nine

Everything's Fine
I'm effectively copying and pasting Snarf's verbiage from a former poll of this nature, which you can find here
Effectively copying and pasting, except for all the parts that I edited :ROFLMAO:

I just realized this morning that Bob Odenkirk in Better Call Saul looks somewhat vaguely like David Thewlis (I liked him in Dragonheart). So, it begs the question, which, boiled down, has roughly two sides:

1. Bob Odenkirk is the poor man's David Thewlis
2. David Thewlis is the poor man's Bob Odenkirk

If you aren't familiar with this phrasing, allow me to assist- when someone thinks of, say, an actor, and you think, "Well, that actor is just like ... but not quite the same ... as another actor." So examples of that would be-
Skeet Ulrich is the poor man's Johnny Depp (90s special!).
Gary Busey is the poor man's Nick Nolte.
Christopher Eccleston is the poor man's Ralph Fiennes.
Andy Garcia is the poor man's Al Pacino.
Jesse Plemons is the poor man's Phillip Seymour Hoffman.
Dennis Quaid is the poor man's Kurt Russell.
Mark Wahlberg is the poor man's Matt Damon.
etc.

Anyway, normally the case is obvious. And here, I think it is as well. One is obviously the poor man's version of the other, and the only people would disagree are bards, elves, and other assorted ne'er-do-wells. Which side did I take? Well.... I don't want to skew the results.

So ... vote in the poll. Let me know what you think. In the comments, tell me why.

(I am updated to the 21st century the phrase "poor man's" to "poor person's" because why not, it's my poll)

Clint_L

Hero
I don't personally find the resemblance that strong. But more significantly, I don't find their acting style or choice of material remotely similar. Odenkirk is a writer and stand-up comic first, and very American in his timing and delivery. Thewlis is classically trained and emphatically British.

Put another way, Bob Odenkirk is great in Bob Odenkirk roles. David Thewlis is great in all kinds of roles.

Remove ads