• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Booby Traps

majustismp15

First Post
Does anyone know the rules for making booby traps from the DMG II?
IIRC there are rules about making CR 1/2 traps that are essentially booby traps.
If you have the info, I thank you in advance for helping me out.
I want my character to be able to make incredibly simple traps to assist in keeping guard in a gungeon. and we don't have time to wait around to build a CR one trap.

D.Shaffer

First Post
I wish I did. I love the idea of booby traps but they dont exactly make it clear how you construct them to create new ones.

majustismp15

First Post
I know.
I'm trying to make a Rousseau type character, and unfortunately craft (trapmaking) might as well be an NPC skill. It takes to long to craft unless you are maxed at high levels and have at least a couple of days to do so...
I just wanna make some quick and dirty speed bumps

Phasics

First Post
majustismp15 said:
I know.
I'm trying to make a Rousseau type character, and unfortunately craft (trapmaking) might as well be an NPC skill. It takes to long to craft unless you are maxed at high levels and have at least a couple of days to do so...
I just wanna make some quick and dirty speed bumps

Perhaps you could work somthing out with your DM to allow you to get some redimentary pre-fab traps made during the same time each night that the mages and clerics are meditating. Perhaps they can be limited to only causing limited effects and not damage.

stuff like snares and spikes, really basic stuff that you can literally throw on the ground and its basically a trap becuase if anyone runs over it there going to trip or get a spike through the shoe.

For more sophisticated traps that have say a wire trigger etc if you can explain how simple and quickly it could be setup to your DM then he should be satisfied that you'd proabably take as long as you did explaining it to set up the trap.

ever been hit in the face with a garden rake ? well what if you put a vail of acid on one end of the rake monster comes running stand on rake it files up and smakcs the vial into his face OUCH.

so go retro go simple, really simple. heh maybe even bring some water ballons and fishingwire to a session and show the DM justow quickly you could rig it up and how much quicker your proession thief character could have done it.

D.Shaffer

First Post
That's sort of what booby traps are supposed to be. They're relatively quick and temporary traps you can make with stuff scrounged from the world around you. It's even implied they dont have to be CR 1/2, just the majority of them are. The problem is they dont make it clear how you design the things compared to 'real' traps.

Certain types of 'portable' traps would be useful too, such as the classic 'jaw trap'. But I'd tend to consider that a use of the 50 gp materials for a booby trap.

Last edited:

Remove ads