• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Book of Beautiful Horrors

CapnZapp

Legend
Beautiful illos indeed... taken from other publishers like CD Projekt Red, Games Workshop and Bethesda. Which, one hopes, were authorized. Although somehow I doubt it.

Oh, yeah. Flipping through it, it's not just petty art theft. This is hardcore mugging artists in a dark alley level theft. He credits the artist at the end, but also accepts donations for himself.

You’re sure the art is used without permission?

You're saying CD Projekt Red, Games Workshop, and Bethesda all agreed to let their stuff be used in this guy's book? Come on. And 60+ independent artists? You could try to find that many artists willing to give permission, or you could go to art school for 5 years and do it yourself. The second option would be quicker.

No malice involved, I'm sure, but he's still trying to profit off other people's work.

CD Project Red seems like a decent company, but they are not in the habit of giving out permission to use their artwork for things like this. Games Workshop is notoriously litigious about things like this. If I was a gambling man, I would bet money that he doesn't have permission for even half of this art.

So anyone going to report him to GW?

Lots of self-appointed armchair police around, I see. How about you leaving the IP policing to the actual trademark holders, and focus on having fun, mkay? :)

dave2008

Legend

Dausuul

Legend
Lots of self-appointed armchair police around, I see. How about you leaving the IP policing to the actual trademark holders, and focus on having fun, mkay? :)
Because I've had friends who are professional artists, and it's a tough gig with lousy pay which requires a lot of training and practice to do well, and the last thing they need is people stealing their work and trying to make a buck off it. And they certainly don't have time to sit at home scouring the internet for violators all day. So how about we all focus on not encouraging that kind of thing, mkay?

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter

Not sure why I got included in the bollocking, I’m generally more in your camp. However I do think that he shouldn’t be asking for money if he’s using other people’s work without permission. If he wants to make money, he should pay for the art (or create his own), because the art is what’s helping to elevate this work way above average (and thus cause people to consider funding it).

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
Yeah! BTW, I've taken the liberty of taking your work for my own and am now making money on it that you aren't. But, we're good, right? The guy I sold it to really likes it. He wants more of it from me. Can you do some more work so I can sell it to this guy? Thanks, you're a champ.

ccs

41st lv DM

My fun will continue unimpeded either way. I was just curious.

Now if GW or whomever wanted to pay me to bounty hunt....

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter

Sorry, dude, but you don't get to police the discussion. They get to raise whatever points they want, and, "This guy is appearing to make money off of art he doesn't have right to use," is a valid point.

I'm all for fan-made content, but there's limits of Fair Use, and this does seem to be beyond them. EN World does not support copyright infringement.

Remove ads