• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Book of Many Things pre order up.

They've been very clear about what this book was all along. Why did no one believe them?
It happens with almost all books. The title is released, and people come up with everything they hope to be in the book. Most people modify those expectations as more information comes out, while others apparently don't and keep their original beliefs until confronted with immutable evidence to the contrary.

Remathilis

Legend
They've been very clear about what this book was all along. Why did no one believe them?
It wasn't really described as anything. We had a UA with a handful of PC options and a title. We didn't exactly know what the book part would contain. Aside from being obviously about the cards, you couldn't really tell what it was going to be about. I'm STILL not sure what the audience is going to be for it. It seems extremely niche for its price tag, and I'm going to look and see what value it has for someone not interested in using the deck itself.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
It wasn't really described as anything.
They told us months ago it was about the secrets of the Deck of Many Things. No one should have said "ah ha, so that means another book like Xanathar's and Tasha's!"
I'm STILL not sure what the audience is going to be for it. It seems extremely niche for its price tag, and I'm going to look and see what value it has for someone not interested in using the deck itself.
I'm the audience, but am deeply irritated about them forcing people who want the physical book to also buy their deck of cards, rather than just releasing them simultaneously. I'm irritated enough to not preorder it, as I had previously planned to, and just wait for the reviews to come in and see whether it's what I'd hoped it would be.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
What are you going to suggest next, that people should read the DMG? ;)

Though seriously, with this product they have been pretty clear on what it is...but what it is, happens to be fairly novel and creative. This is a bot different from most D&D products I can think of, and people lat he'd onto "Thing" to compare it to Xanathar's or Tasha's, though it was always clearly not that.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
It wasn't really described as anything. We had a UA with a handful of PC options and a title. We didn't exactly know what the book part would contain. Aside from being obviously about the cards, you couldn't really tell what it was going to be about. I'm STILL not sure what the audience is going to be for it. It seems extremely niche for its price tag, and I'm going to look and see what value it has for someone not interested in using the deck itself.
I mean, the audience is people interested in using the deck itself...but maybe who have been reluctant or unsure about how to utilize it.

They always made it clear that this would have monsters, items, maps, and sich: it sounded more like a campaign setting product than like Xanathar's.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I feel the same way. I dont need a deck of cards to use the product. Definitely not for me at $100
It's the same MRSP as Curse of Strahd Revamped, which is a box set with a book, a deck of cards, and a car deck use booklet.

I don't think it would be worth it to WotC to put out the card deck separately from the card book product, or the other way around (though the Beyond version is just the main boo kfor $30). The Venn overlap of "people who want this book" and "people who want the full 66 card deck with nice illustratuons" is super high.

pukunui

Legend
I really want to know who that is on the cover. (I suspect it could be Laeral Silverhand but I'm not sure.) So far none of the promo material has provided any clues, although I note on the back cover, it talks about the deck's creator ... so maybe that's who's on the cover?

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
It's the same MRSP as Curse of Strahd Revamped, which is a box set with a book, a deck of cards, and a car deck use booklet.
The fact that it's the same price as a product that was too expensive for many people isn't a strong argument.
I don't think it would be worth it to WotC to put out the card deck separately from the card book product, or the other way around (though the Beyond version is just the main boo kfor $30).
It would pick up all the sales from people for whom the higher price tier was a bridge too far for them and all the people who want an actual book but don't immediately see the need to have a deck of cards to use or have one of the ones sold by the many, many other companies out there that have them.
The Venn overlap of "people who want this book" and "people who want the full 66 card deck with nice illustratuons" is super high.
So releasing it separately wouldn't have lost them many sales.

This is absolutely a decision intended to squeeze more money out of people, not one made to benefit players -- unless said players are also shareholders.

Remove ads