• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Book of Many Things pre order up.

pukunui

Legend
The question then is: is there significant value in this for a DM who doesn’t otherwise care about and has never bothered using the Deck?
This is from the product blurb:

Creativity can’t be forced, but the Deck of Many Things provides just enough unpredictability to spark that lighting in a bottle moment. From new adventure hooks and key locations to inventive new ways to determine random encounters, Dungeon Masters have all the ingredients to build perfect chaos into their campaigns. Together with your party, craft dramatic experiences, experience startling twists, and delight in unexpected moments of brilliance.

It reminds me of the old Paizo Plot Twist Cards deck. I wonder if this will be similar.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
The fact that it's the same price as a product that was too expensive for many people isn't a strong argument.
It's less an argument, and more a statement...? That's the going rate they've had for a similar, and successful, product. I'd say that it notable for not being subject to an inflation bump, as even Planescape is compared to Spelljammer.

For comparisons sake, my FLGS is preselling the two Eldraine Commander vard decks for a discount of $90 if they are preordered together...and $50 is cheap for a recent MTH precon deck to begin with. So, agaon, not much of an argument, but this is a prodict from a company that charges $60 for a hardcover book and $50-70 for a deck of cards for "merely" $100 (minus any discount frpm the retailer, I'll probavly get it from my FLGS at 10% off).
the higher price tier was a bridge too far for them and all the people who want an actual book but don't immediately see the need to have a deck of cards to use or have one of the ones sold by the many, many other companies out there that have them.
That would seem to be covered by tje $30 Beyond version of the hardcover.
So releasing it separately wouldn't have lost them many sales.

This is absolutely a decision intended to squeeze more money out of people, not one made to benefit players -- unless said players are also shareholders.
Well, sure, this is a business, that's how it works. Doesn't sting as much for me individually, since I don't already have a card set and would like to have some ideas how it could be used non-disruptively in a campaign.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
The question then is: is there significant value in this for a DM who doesn’t otherwise care about and has never bothered using the Deck?
If the Adventure locations are meaty enough (compared to Bigby's, say), the substantial Bestiary and biggest collection of items since the DMG is at least intriguing. No doubt we will get inundated with previews after Planescape drops.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I wonder what sort of monsters would make appearances in this book? Any ideas?
Well, two of the Spells in the Unearthed Arcana last year titled Wonders of the Multiverse summoned a "Reaper Spirit" and a "Warrior Spirit", so those two (with their proper names unscrubbed) seem likely.

I see two major factors making it somewhat difficult to predict what might be in there: first, they are trippling the size of the Deck, from 22 cards to 66 cards. That means two thirds of the Deck can be literally anything. Which leads into the second major factor: the unifying theme of the content is randomness, which h means that literally any unpublished Monster from an older Edition of any type whatsoever and entirely brand new Monsters are totally fair game and on theme by default. The weirder, the better, perhaps.

Last edited:

Dire Bare

Legend
1691108467578.png

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads