• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Book to customize the Paladin

Drago

Explorer
I've read about a book that you could customize Paladins and
make Paladins of other alignments , but can't remember
the title.
Could some one please give me the name and the details ,
quality etc.

Thanks from a old time lurker, well mostly a lurker ...:D

JoeGKushner

First Post
There are a couple of options for this.

One is the excellent Call of Duty.

The other is the okay Forgotten Heroes, Paladins.

There are other options in Good by AEG and Book of Hallowed Might by Malhavok Press.

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
Well there are two off hand that I think deal with paladins.

One is Book of Hallowed Might by Malhavoc Press. At present it's only in PDF but it will be in print I believe come Febuary or March.

The other is Book of the Righteous by Green Ronin. It takes the idea of a "Holy Warrior" and uses that.

The Serge

First Post
I have both Book of Hallowed Might and Book of the Righteous. I'm a fan of both publishers, but in this case I'd have to recommend BoHM.

Not only does Cook offer a brand new Paladin class that's far more valuable and reasonable than the one offered in the PH, he also offers Dedicated Paladins (who gain additional Domain spells), Chaotic Paladins, and Neutral Paladins. In all cases, there are some variations in what the class gains and loses, but they're all handled very well and with (as is usually the case with Cook) a great deal of balance.

Voadam

Legend
librum Equitis II also has a divine champion (paladin-type) prestige class applicable for any alignment or god.

Many of the supplements noted above are available at rpgnow.com

Chun-tzu

First Post
To expand on what others have said:

In Book of Hallowed Might, there is an alternate Paladin that gets a few more high-level abilities (including more smites), to make the higher levels mroe fun to play. There are Neutral Good and Chaotic Good variants of the Paladin, which lose a couple Paladin abilities and gain others (can be used with the PHB Paladin or the alternate Paladin). There is also the Dedicated Paladin, which gains Cleric domains (powers and spells) and loses other Paladin abilities.

In Book of the Righteous, you get the Holy Warrior in place of the Paladin. Holy Warriors are dedicated to a specific good deity, and so they may be LG, NG, or CG. The abilities they gain depend on the deity they serve. Each deity has 3 Holy Warrior domains (different from Clerical domains), and Holy Warriors choose 2. So 2 Holy Warriors of the same deity may have different abilities. The spell lists and skills are slightly modified for each deity, and Holy Warriors also gain a specific spell-like ability they can use instead of the Paladin's Remove Disease. Book of the Righteous goes farther than Book of Hallowed Might goes in terms of customizability, and that can be a good or a bad thing. It depends on HOW different you want your new Paladins to be. The Holy Warrior will also take a bit more work on your part if you want to adapt it to other settings, because you now have to decide which domains, spells, and skills are appropriate to each good deity in your pantheon.

Good is apparently similar to Book of Hallowed Might, and has a CG and NG version of the Paladin with different abilities (and names). I haven't seen it, so I can't say more.

Call of Duty is a great Paladin sourcebook PDF, but offers less in terms of customization than the above. It lets you swap out Paladin abilities for others, like giving up spells for more smites. It also presents the Paladin as a PrC option, which none of the above do.

Also, note that Book of Hallowed Might and Call of Duty are currently only available as PDFs, and are much, much cheaper than the Book of the Righteous. I think BoHM is $7, CoD is $5, and BotR is around $40.

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
Chun,

You're right about Book of the Righteous being around 40 dollars but it's a great value, because of all the stuff it covers, religions, myths, legends, new domains, new spells, various gods and stuff. Even so, the other two are cheaper comparatively speaking.

Chun-tzu

First Post
Agreed, NF. It's the kind of book that Deities & Demigods and Faiths & Pantheons should have been. I bought it based on the great reviews from so many EN World reviewers, and would also rate it a 5-star product.

Fayredeth

First Post
If you've got the money, and you have your own setting without an established religion, then definately go with the Book of the Righteous. The specifics on the class has been explained pretty well already, so I thought I'd just throw in my support for BotR. :)

Remove ads