D&D 5E Booming Blade and Two Handed Weapons

bid

First Post
I usually rule that a 2 handed weapon needs two hand to be *used*, but one hand can hold on to it. It's easy to let go with one hand, cast a spell, then grab it again.
"Two-Handed (p. 147). This property is relevant only when you attack with the weapon, not when you simply hold it." So, yeah.

Shiroiken

Legend
As has been noted, the question is irrelevant because there is no Somatic Component. If there was, however, I would argue that you would need Warcaster to use a two handed weapon. While I'm generally not too fiddly about such things, you have to make an attack as part of the spell, which would be when you are using a free hand for the somatic component. Obviously the designers were aware of this and removed the Somatic Component (or as I like to think of it, the attack IS the Somatic Component!) for both Booming Blade and Green Flame Blade.

bid

First Post
As has been noted, the question is irrelevant because there is no Somatic Component. If there was, however, I would argue that you would need Warcaster to use a two handed weapon.
We'll burn that bridge when that happens. Until then, there's no reason to fight to the death.:devil:

Ahrimon

Bourbon and Dice
As has been noted, the question is irrelevant because there is no Somatic Component. If there was, however, I would argue that you would need Warcaster to use a two handed weapon. While I'm generally not too fiddly about such things, you have to make an attack as part of the spell, which would be when you are using a free hand for the somatic component. Obviously the designers were aware of this and removed the Somatic Component (or as I like to think of it, the attack IS the Somatic Component!) for both Booming Blade and Green Flame Blade.

While I wouldn't argue against that, it would be interesting if, had there had been a S component, the S component was the attack with the weapon itself.

Undrhil

Explorer
If the spell had an S component, it would still work even with two-handed weapons since you can use the hand holding the M component (the weapon, in this case) to perform the S component.

Last edited:

Remove ads