• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Boots of Striding and Springing.......kinda lame

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
None of these things is relevant to what's being discussed.

The problem with this example is that there's a monster in front of them, preventing them from making a long jump. The movement that you make needs to be in the direction of the jump, and if you're running straight at the monster, then there's no room to make the jump. If it's a ghost or something that you intend to jump through, or a goblin that you want to jump over, then whether you're still carrying your momentum at the end of your movement depends on whether you stood around for four seconds and then moved and attacked while moving, or moved and then stopped and then attacked. Both actions would play out with similar mechanics on your first turn, but one of them sets you up for a jump on the next turn and the other does not.
No -- the jump could be beside a monster, passing within 5' of them (assuming 5' reach). There is no need to make this more complicated than the simple examples.

If you have a move speed of 30 feet, then moving 30 feet in a round means that you're literally moving for that whole period of six seconds. That's what it means to move your whole speed in the round. Anything that you do on your next round is something which takes place immediately after moving, because that's the definition of the word.
Again, No, because you also have an action on your turn. Only if you move 60' in a round you are literally moving for the full 6 seconds (though you still have a reaction and a bonus action, so it's not literally "literally").

Or to get straight to the point, there's no difference within the game world that could distinguish between moving at the end of your turn or moving at the beginning of your turn, because turns are just an abstraction to facilitate gameplay, and therefore the outcome of your action cannot possibly depend on whether your run-up took place at the end of your last turn or the beginning of this turn. Imposing the turn structure is a way of helping us to resolve time-critical situations, but it doesn't actually change what you are capable of doing.
D&D combat occurs in turns, that are tightly regulated by the initiative sequence. We both know that. My post above to Caliban answers this.

I get that you disagree with me. I'm fine with that. And I'm not saying you're necessarily wrong. But I am saying the interpretation you are offering lacks parallels that I would expect, and does not arise form the natural language of the rules in question.

Last edited:

Ahrimon

Bourbon and Dice
Self spit shining would be good drill sergent!

PULL YOUR HEAD OUT OF THE SAND PRIVATE! WE WEAR SUEDE BOOTS NOW!! No more of that shining your boots to build character and pride in your appearance nonsense. We don't even starch our uniforms anymore. :D

However unnatural it is, D&D combat and movement *does* happen with stop-motion. Two opponents stand 15 feet away from each other. If they are entering melee combat, one of them needs to close that distance, and that one gets to attack first.
This is factually incorrect. We use stop-motion to represent movement, but the movement itself is continuous within the game world. If two opponents are facing each other across a short distance, then approximating that the faster one to act can get to the other one before that one moves even five feet is sufficient for us to resolve their interaction.

Plus, the word Immediately is used elsewhere to have the meaning I am ascribing to it.
I'm not sure that's a convincing argument, but did you have any specific examples in mind? It's just a normal word in the English language, so there's no real reason to expect it to hold some special definition as game jargon.

Do you believe that long jumps are *expected* to have the run-up at the end of the last turn? That to me is a big assumption, and it also is not paralleled by other actions in the game, so far as I can see. If that's your interpretation (and that the full benefit of these shoes for someone with 15 strength depends on that assumption), then I'd want some sense of why you think it's inevitable, or why that makes better sense than my alternative.
I believe that long jumps are expected to take place outside of combat. I seem to recall that, if you do make a long jump in combat, then excess distance of the jump beyond your normal move speed carries over onto your next turn; but I can't find anything about that in the Basic Rules, and it's entirely possible that I'm remembering that from a different game.

It's also possible that they just don't expect this situation to come up under normal circumstances, and the line from the item description is simply intended to keep the game moving. Kind of like how some rulesets would just say that a wizard can't wear plate armor, and later expansions of the ruleset would say that they can but it would cause all sorts of penalties. It's just two different ways of describing the same sort of behavior, depending on how much detail you want to worry about.

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
This is factually incorrect. We use stop-motion to represent movement, but the movement itself is continuous within the game world. If two opponents are facing each other across a short distance, then approximating that the faster one to act can get to the other one before that one moves even five feet is sufficient for us to resolve their interaction.
I'm not really sure where we are disagreeing here. In the game, we use stop-motion to represent movement.
I'm not sure that's a convincing argument, but did you have any specific examples in mind? It's just a normal word in the English language, so there's no real reason to expect it to hold some special definition as game jargon.
See the examples in post 26. I am seeing you apply a special meaning to the word, one that allows being attacked, taking damage, potentially making saving throws, taking bonus actions, etc., all as possibly not interrupting something "immediate".

I believe that long jumps are expected to take place outside of combat.
Since the 30' movement rates are measured in terms of a 6-second combat turn, I am not sure this is true. Plus, in the context of the OP where it specifically qualifies the effects of the item to include "though you can't jump farther than your remaining movement would allow", which again presumes combat.

I seem to recall that, if you do make a long jump in combat, then excess distance of the jump beyond your normal move speed carries over onto your next turn; but I can't find anything about that in the Basic Rules, and it's entirely possible that I'm remembering that from a different game.
Yes, I made reference to this in post 17.

It's also possible that they just don't expect this situation to come up under normal circumstances, and the line from the item description is simply intended to keep the game moving. Kind of like how some rulesets would just say that a wizard can't wear plate armor, and later expansions of the ruleset would say that they can but it would cause all sorts of penalties. It's just two different ways of describing the same sort of behavior, depending on how much detail you want to worry about.
We're not taking about revisions or new iterations of the rules, here; I'm looking only at the PHB and the DMG for this edition.

I appreciate your willingness actually to talk about this.

Shiroiken

Legend
They're not great, but as an uncommon item, they don't have to be. Our paladin used them to help against hovering fliers (with high jump), but it was really a minor thing. Eventually our bard multi-classed into life cleric, gaining heavy armor proficiency she didn't use due to lack of Strength. When the party found Efreet Chain, the paladin couldn't use it because of he had a mithril suit of plate that was his symbol of station (as Watcher of the West). The paladin gave the bard the boots to use with the Chain, so it finally found some real use.

jaelis

Oh this is where the title goes?
How far you can jump is limited by your movement.

The Dash action is your friend.

:)

Yep :) Str 20 character with the boots can jump 50 ft with a dash and 10 ft runup. And clear a 10 ft wall en route if they can make a DC 10 athletics check. Or if the wall is the main thing, they can jump up and grab onto the edge of a 30 ft wall. Maybe not as good as flying, but I wouldn't turn it down.

jaelis

Oh this is where the title goes?
So a monk can use step of the wind to double their jump distance. Reckon a monk with the boots could jump 6x normal?

Remove ads