• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Bracers of Mighty Striking: Near Useless?

James McMurray

First Post
krakenstar said:
I'd say about half of your attacks will be basic attacks - You only have 4 encounter attacks a day from level 11+?

So I'd say its pretty decent.

At-Wills are not basic melee attacks. Unless you're ignoring your (usually better) at will abilities, you'll be making much more non-basic attacks.

Nikodemus

First Post
toxicspirit said:
Bracers of the Perfect Shot seem pretty much useless for an Archer-Ranger.

Unless the have fox cunning, group with a warlord, or have any other abilities that grant basic attacks. Just because you don't see a use doesn't make them useless.

keterys

First Post
It's extremely useful if you expect to take OAs, are a fighter, have a warlord in the party, or have situational melee at-wills.

That seems like a good enough justification to me.

Victoly

First Post
Zurai said:
What else are you going to put in that slot on a melee character that doesn't use a shield?
Bracers of Defense. Taking less damage is always kinda nice.

Charging and the Warlord abilities did kinda change my mind on this one, though - thanks for your suggestions, people. And the item is incredibly cheap as well.

And yeah - for the fighter who doesn't have Sure Strike or Reaping Strike it makes sense.

Sphyre

First Post
Boosting basic melee attacks is not a bad thing.

Things you do without needing anyone else to gain benefit from them:

• Charging
  • Basic attack - which you've now boosted to higher damage potential than your at wills. Use your at-wills only when you want the special effect and basic attack when you need to dish out the hurt. Effectively giving you another at will of "str vs AC, Hit: 1[W] + Str mod + x"

Things you can do with your ally's help

• Warlord granting extra attacks. If the warlord does this a lot, it'll be your best friend.

Things provoked from enemies

• Marked enemies or enemies passing by provoke opportunity attacks in which you get +wis mod (on provokers only) to hit and +x damage to it.

Near useless? No, not at all, by a long shot. Not useful for every character? Indeed, but pact blades and holy avengers aren't useful for every character either.

Ganders

Explorer
These bracers might be near useless for a fighter. But for casters (ie Wizard, Warlock), their melee attacks are almost always basic attacks, so the +2 almost always applies. A warlock with a pact blade is a good example... but so is a warlock with a warhammer.

A warlock with a high CON (dwarf, perhaps) and the Hammer Rhythm feat does an average of at least 10 damage (sometimes more) against a cursed foe even on a miss, and considerably more on a hit -- so he should make plenty of basic attacks.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads