• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Bracers of Mighty Striking

SDOgre

First Post
The text for these says, "When you hit with a melee basic attack, you gain a +2 item bonus to the damage roll."

Does this mean they don't give extra damage when using an exploit?

If so, they don't seem too great for a 2nd level item.

Pinnacle

First Post
They're helpful if you have a warlord that grants basic attacks to allies.
The ranged ones are better since warlocks and wizards can both use them with at-wills, as eldritch blast and magic missile count as ranged basic attacks, although warlords can't grant those with an at-will.

Delia

First Post
yeah, just melee basics, no other class powers.
so just for those attacks granted to you by some powers (like that one 1st lvl at-will warlord thing) or OAs.

However if you play a Warlord in a 3 man party or a Warpriest you will come to love those bracers :)

ac_noj

First Post
The ranged ones are better since warlocks and wizards can both use them with at-wills, as eldritch blast and magic missile count as ranged basic attacks

Good call I didn't think of that.

Also Oppertunity Attacks, Charge and attacks from Combat Challenge are basic attacks so they can be good for a Fighter.

Gloombunny

First Post
Having the bracers can even make your basic attacks better than your at-wills in some situations. Say you're a fighter with Cleave and Tide of Iron - if there's only one adjacent enemy, and pushing him wouldn't be advantageous, then you don't lose anything by using a basic attack to get the extra damage.

Depending on what at-wills you have this may not apply, of course. Twin Strike is always better than a basic attack at +2 damage, for instance.

SDOgre

First Post
But doesn't that just add another layer of complexity? You have different damage bonuses when doing melee basic attacks and at will powers?

I can't seem how that streamlines anything...

But doesn't that just add another layer of complexity? You have different damage bonuses when doing melee basic attacks and at will powers?

Um, not really. On your character sheet and/or power cards you have the following:

Melee basic attack

At will attack

At will attack

It's 3E thinking to assume that there's any real connection between these things. When you get these bracers, you just increase the +damage on Melee basic attack on your sheet by two and forget about it. If that's not streamlined, then nothing is.

I mean, have you played 4E? You know that many/most characters have at-wills that work off different stats to STR, right?

Pinnacle

First Post

Isn't that one of the reasons you might use an at-will power? They often have different damage bonuses. If they were the same as basic attacks, there wouldn't be any reason for them.

burntgerbil

Explorer
we have a fighter in the party that marks everything he can - we provoke those things to make an oa at us, and the fighter smacks them first. Usually two to four a combat, if we're lucky. For the most part, fighters can only take OA's with basic attack actions. So would this be good for our fighter ? Certainly - but Your Mileage May Vary.

Remove ads