Brainstorming: A Tropical Island D&D Vacation

buddhafrog

First Post
"Hotel California" - check out anytime you want, but you can never leave... icosahedraphelia podcast had this destination in their game. It was pretty fun and it took a few sessions and hints for the PC's to realize the setting/song/situation.

ProfessorCirno

Banned
Banned
The island has mysteriously undergone a shortage of alcohol.

The PCs have to help the natives find the wicked priest of Pelor who's been trying to force teetotalism on the island and stop their wicked scheme.

Remember, it's meant to be a break/mini adventure. Don't make it serious!

ppaladin123

Adventurer

MortalPlague

Adventurer
Another option might be that the island is a resort vacation spot. But it's ran by something nefarious, something subtle. That either eats the people who show up, convinces them not to leave, or it's a place where people are replaced (ala Invasion of the Body Snatchers, or any other sort of parasite, mind washer, or double like a doppelganger colony). Everything seems on the up and up, but a few things just aren't right.

This appeals to my macabre side. It would also be campaign appropriate; my rogue has a habit of being eaten by things.

Big monster in the jungle you can't see, moving around, making noise. Probably something contained on the island, unable to get off, something prehistoric or unique.

Also lots of fun. It might be a little too similar to the good ol' "There's a monster terrorizing the village! Go into the woods and find it!", unless the monster itself is really unique.

How about that old cliche of finding a treasure map or some other message in a bottle?

Bonus points if you can work in a volcano and a primitive tribe who worship it and perform human(oid) sacrifices to it.

Danger-wise, you should probably make the fights slightly easier than normal, both to play up the vacation element, and as a contrast to their recent trek through the Underdark.

The plan is definitely for easier fights and challenges. My rogue is very motivated by treasure, so a map would be a real treat. I'm sure a search for buried pirate treasure would be really entertaining.

Especially since I really like pirates.

The place is perfect. Perfect weather, perfect beaches, complete lack of anything that bites or stings. The PCs find...

I love this idea! Absolutely brilliant. I'm not sure how well it would fit into my game thematically, but I may borrow elements and pieces of it.

I recall someone, possibly someone at WotC, who once sent his players to an island which was normal in all ways, except every inhabitant of the island always walked around carrying a pig under one arm.

Even before I clicked it, I knew which mini you were linking to. :D This is a delightfully silly idea, and I may have to use it. I think I'm going to give a unifying feature to all the islanders, though perhaps something a touch more mundane. Maybe they all wear eyepatches, or have yellow boots, or something like that?

Rechan

Adventurer
Also lots of fun. It might be a little too similar to the good ol' "There's a monster terrorizing the village! Go into the woods and find it!", unless the monster itself is really unique.
It's more like King Kong. It's not a threat to the Locals, because they know how to avoid it. But it's Out There. The monster is more atmosphere, the locals being afraid of it,t eh sounds of it, but it never shows up unless the PCs either 1) go looking for it or 2) get into a fight outside of the Village.

Remove ads