Branimir's Open Letter to Games Workshop

jasper

Rotten DM

(I mean, I get annoyed at English people portrayed in American media as weak and ineffectual fops, but obviously that’s hardly the same thing, not remotely comparable, and we’re not discriminated against).
Hey you 50+ years and 14 different Dr. Whos , who make up for the fops. And you generally are the best villains in American Media too.

ruemere

Adventurer
Popper was writing in 1945. The world has learned a great deal more about the psychological harm done by abusive speech since then.
For certain values of "the world". I am ashamed to admit that I live in a country where the president (who apparently won the election vote again) is incapable of acknowledging basic human rights for gay people.

Last edited:

I gave up on the War Hammer setting long ago. They can't seem to come up with new material to save their lives. Death on the Reik was a weak scenario when it was first released, yet they constantly re-release it.

What a publisher or online pundit thinks has no impact on whom I allow at my table, so why is the subject even brought up?

Focus on the hobby.

MGibster

Legend
Focus on the hobby.

The "hobby" they're focused on is their table top miniature game. I'm with you, it's not like GW's opinion has any bearing on who is invited to my table. But there are rather popular Youtube commenters who specialize in Warhammer lore/gaming who say some pretty terrible things about women or minority representation in the game. I think GW just wanted to separate itself from those kind of attitudes.

The "hobby" they're focused on is their table top miniature game. I'm with you, it's not like GW's opinion has any bearing on who is invited to my table. But there are rather popular Youtube commenters who specialize in Warhammer lore/gaming who say some pretty terrible things about women or minority representation in the game. I think GW just wanted to separate itself from those kind of attitudes.

If they're popular, what's the problem?

If they're not popular, there's no problem.

I get tired of this holier than thou, censorship bent that is so popular these days. It assumes that the average person is too stupid to understand BS when he or she hears it.

Have some faith in people. Let them make their own choices.

Given GW's propensity to rip off its own fan base by constantly churning out new rules and new figs, they're not exactly holding the moral high ground anyway. :devil:

Cadence

Legend
Supporter

Because it makes racism and misogyny look popular among the fans of the game when people go to look it up.

It assumes that the average person is too stupid to understand BS when he or she hears it.

If a lot of them understand it's racist/sexist BS and still like it... isn't that worse?

Let them make their own choices.

They're choosing to embrace racism and sexism, and the game company is making a choice. It's telling them to shove off.

Given GW's propensity to rip off its own fan base by constantly churning out new rules and new figs, they're not exactly holding the moral high ground anyway.

I imagine there are lots of links on how capitalism is built on racism and misogyny of varying quality. That seems a bit off topic here though :)

If they're not popular, there's no problem.

If they are popular and they are associated with your brand they are very possibly turning people away by associating your brand with obnoxious behaviour.

One of the ones they appear to particularly want rid of is the youtuber formerly known as Arch Warhammer. I say formerly because WotC slapped a trademark infringement on his Youtube channel because when your business is making apparently badly researched Warhammer lore videos and you call yourself [Noun] Warhammer it is very easy to mistake you for an official source from the company with offical Warhammer stores and whose fan community is called the Warhammer Community.

Remove ads