Breaking down the CR/EL numbers

Albereth

First Post
Hmmm, so what you are really doing is calculating the EL of the party and not their average level? I put your original formula into excel and it said a party of 4 level 6 characters were avg level 9.3. If I added a 5th 6th level character it went up to 9.8. Even subtracting the additional 2 points it would leave them in the mid to high 7th level.

CRGreathouse

Community Supporter
Albereth said:
Hmmm, so what you are really doing is calculating the EL of the party and not their average level? I put your original formula into excel and it said a party of 4 level 6 characters were avg level 9.3. If I added a 5th 6th level character it went up to 9.8. Even subtracting the additional 2 points it would leave them in the mid to high 7th level.

Are you using the correct formula? 4 6th level characters come to party level 6 in my calculations; 5 6th-level characters were levle 6.6.

Perhaps you entered it into Excel wrong?

Albereth

First Post
CRGreathouse said:

Are you using the correct formula? 4 6th level characters come to party level 6 in my calculations; 5 6th-level characters were levle 6.6.

Perhaps you entered it into Excel wrong?

Now that is always a good possibility. I assume that 2^y is 2 to the y power so if y = 2 then we have 2 squared.

Looking at the formula for x you have 2^(a/2)+etc I was assuming you had for a 6th level character 2^(6/2) = 2^(3) or 2 to the third power which would be 2*2*2 = 8. Now in excel this would be shown as power(2,6/2). These are each added together for as many characters as you have.

The second part might be where the error creeps in as it shows no delineation of when the multiplication and subtractions happen 8) 2*ln(x)/ln(2) - 4.

Ahhhhh wait!! I was thinking wrong when I posted last night and maybe they change to -4 does bring them in line. I just looked at the printout I had and what you had posted before was -1 and I thought it was a -2. So subtracting the additional 3 (not 2) would bring things back in line. See making me look at what I had printed and your response made me see the error. I will try putting them in again and see what I come up with 8)

Ketjak

Malicious GM
Honor and Math

CRGreathouse,

That's a fun formula. Thanks! I'll test it out so I can appreciate the intricacies a bit more; I'l be sure to ask if I have questions, so I hope you're ready to answer. :)

I am a loyal devotee of the EN World boards. Honest. I only occasionally go on dates with other boards so I can more fully appreciate EN World's charms. I check here first and last, and laugh at the WotC boards and shame them by saying "You're no EN World board!"

;)

- Ketjak

CRGreathouse

Community Supporter
Re: Honor and Math

Ketjak said:
I am a loyal devotee of the EN World boards. Honest. I only occasionally go on dates with other boards so I can more fully appreciate EN World's charms. I check here first and last, and laugh at the WotC boards and shame them by saying "You're no EN World board!"

I meant it only in the spirit of jest; while I think highly of these boards, I have no grudge against those who use other boards.

I'm glad you liked the formula!

Remove ads