Brian Lewis, original legal drafter of the OGL, speaks out

I think the Open Gaming Foundation would need to dust out a lot of cobwebs, but it, or an organisation like it, would be a natural choice to be the custodian of a genuine open RPG licence.

(Apropos of the acronym ORC, I thought of creating a homebrew game line called Open Game Roleplaying Engine, or OGRE. I know Open Roleplaying Game Engine is technically more accurate, but I felt like the natural acronym for that is... well, shall we say, off-colour.)

rcade

Hero
Yeah, but it's never actually done anything, to my understanding. I'm not sure it has the administrative infrastructure to fill the role. But maybe it does -- I don't know.
The Open Gaming Foundation did a few things in the formative years of the open gaming movement.

It published the Open Gaming License, hosted the OGF-L and OGF-d20-L mailing lists where the OGL and open gaming movement were born, kept a list of game licenses it considered open, and maintained a registry of open games.

If you could get Paizo and the other major 3pps to agree on a "mere fantasy" framework for a not-d&d srd, and a truly open game licence, that would be huge. It would help mitigate some of the loss of network effects from D&D being cut off.
the problem is that pathfinder itself (and every time I see a house rule) shows that you when recreating want to 'fix' somethings and when they disagree on what needs to be fixed there will be splits.

Dire Bare

Legend
The last time Hasbro threatened the OGL, Paizo became the #1 selling tabletop RPG company and made a lot of money.
Maybe history is poised to repeat itself?
Not quite. The 4th Edition GSL did push Paizo into doing what they were already planning on doing, create their own Pathfinder game. And it was a very successful game. However, Pathfinder sales didn't eclipse D&D sales until AFTER 4th Edition stopped publication and WotC wasn't producing ANY D&D content for a while. As soon as they started up with 5th Edition, Pathfinder slipped back down to second place.

Still, your point stands . . . WotC's open license shenanigans during the 4th Edition probably did have a lot to do with making Pathfinder the success it was. And their current shenanigans with the new "OGL" is already pushing publishers to create their own systems and new, truly open, licenses. The situation isn't identical, but history does seem to be repeating itself . . . .

Langy

Explorer
I think the Open Gaming Foundation would need to dust out a lot of cobwebs, but it, or an organisation like it, would be a natural choice to be the custodian of a genuine open RPG licence.

(Apropos of the acronym ORC, I thought of creating a homebrew game line called Open Game Roleplaying Engine, or OGRE. I know Open Roleplaying Game Engine is technically more accurate, but I felt like the natural acronym for that is... well, shall we say, off-colour.)

OGRE as the name for a roleplaying game, while cool, is probably a little too close to OGRE the name for a board/war game about giant sentient tanks.

Remove ads