Broken things errata'ed, July 2009

Atreides

First Post
The errata mostly looks pretty good, but I do have a few quibbles with it (shocking!).

The Tempest and Battlerager fixes look spot on. The two feats for BRV were a double nerf (the +1 now only triggers once versus twice in the old rules) so that was probably over the line - but the other changes look good.

At this point I think a two weapon talent fighter is good if you want to be high damage - a sword and board Battlerager is better if you want to be 'the tank'.

RRoT is probably still too powerfull. At 4th Level with a +2 Vicious Executioner's Axe you are looking at +3d12 damage on a hit - effectively a feat that provides a +20 damage bonus once per encounter. Slaying action on a Brutal Scoundrel Rogue provides +15/16 and is more restrictive in its use.

At paragon and epic levels the gulf increases dramatically - +3 Axe at level paragon is now doing +33 damage (the slaying action is at +20 or so).

By epic the +5 Axe is now dealing +52 damage - pretty good for a once per encounter feat (slaying action is well behind at this point - +25/26).

The suggestion of 18-20 crit range was likely better then this version.

The RoB change looks good - still a very nice power to have, but no longer a no brainer.

The Guileful Switch was poorly done - at least from initial reading. Keeping the power as is but changing it to a Daily would have been much more appropriate. At this point, it is so situationally useful, that it is much less likely to see play at all. A party tends to use the Delay funciton to muck with initiative order as needed - wasting a Level 6 power slot to do so is just not something that needs to be done every encounter.

So Battlerager and Dual strike were very good - the feats were a bit of an over nerf.

RRoT was undernerfed - it still needs errata.

GS was over nerfed - it is now too situationaly useful to be a level 6 power - level 2 maybe - would prefer the old version as a Daily.

keterys

First Post
I suspect the new GS is more targeted for warlords who group with rogues and wizards, who might really want to go first to gain sneak attack or group things in area effects, that kinda thing.

While I'll admit that I immediately started hunting for a new power for my warlord (kinda gladly, in a way, I just felt stupid if I didn't have it before)... I actually didn't find a level 6 power that seemed much of a better mechanical option than the new GS for my character. I'm probably getting a level 2 power instead.

Reminds me a little of when Veteran's Armor got nerfed and I looked at all the other level 2 options and... yeah, it was at least as good or better than the other options available to that character.

Atreides

First Post
I suspect the new GS is more targeted for warlords who group with rogues and wizards, who might really want to go first to gain sneak attack or group things in area effects, that kinda thing.

While I'll admit that I immediately started hunting for a new power for my warlord (kinda gladly, in a way, I just felt stupid if I didn't have it before)... I actually didn't find a level 6 power that seemed much of a better mechanical option than the new GS for my character. I'm probably getting a level 2 power instead.

Reminds me a little of when Veteran's Armor got nerfed and I looked at all the other level 2 options and... yeah, it was at least as good or better than the other options available to that character.

As for the other level 6 Utlities - it has entirely gone from the best of the bunch to the least useful of all of them.

I would concur with you on the level 2 issue as well - there are a number of level 2's that are very good. I would go Adaptive Strategem and then take Knight's Move at level 6.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
And they've already made that decision separately, if they wanted to use dwarven weapon training and deal a bunch more damage. They're all separate decisions with concrete choices.

it can take quite a solid investment in to CON just to have the plate option... ie.. who isnt going to be making the core decision?

What support is there for a more Wisdom focused Fighter?

Last edited:

keterys

First Post
Dwarves might add Wis to combat challenges (attack and damage) with a feat, and Pit Fighter is good, and I believe a couple other feats use Wis. And, with Marked Scourge, Wis is pretty decent for all fighters really.

And Combat Superiority, of course.

Sword-users also typically want a bit of Dex for things like heavy blade opportunity, though that's obviously not required.

Last edited:

Cadfan

First Post
Other than the battlerager, the fighter is in a nearly unique position of being able to ignore (or spread around) his secondary stats if he so chooses.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Other than the battlerager, the fighter is in a nearly unique position of being able to ignore (or spread around) his secondary stats if he so chooses.
It has been argued that Wizards can do this, too, now that the Tome of Readiness is available.

Cheers, -- N

Remove ads