• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

bronze, iron and steel oh my

Hygric

First Post
hello all,

Does anyone out there have any simple rules to show differences between steel, iron, and bronze armour and weapons?

What I am toying with is reduced hardness for iron and bronze, but I thought that I would check if any of my fellow DM's out there might have any good suggestions.

Hygric.

Spatzimaus

First Post
Simple? Not really.

I created a whole Materials system a couple years ago, you could try something similar. Basically, give every item (weapons and armor) a bonus based on the primary material used, and have that bonus stack with magical enhancement. But, each material also increases the DC of the Craft check by a given amount, increases cost, etc.

So, say that iron armor is the baseline (normal cost, +0 DC). Steel is the "masterwork" (x2 cost, +1 Armor Check, +3 DC). And so on. Dragonhide might be (x50 cost, +3 AC, +2 Max DEX, resistance 5 to the appropriate element, +16 DC)

I'm sure there's something simpler out there, though.

trentonjoe

Explorer
HEre is my 2 cents:

Iron is the baseline.

Steel is considered masterwork for function and creation.

Bronze gets all sorts of penalties. Some examples:

-1 to AC for armor
reduced hardness for weapons,
weapons break on maximum damge or criticals

This also makes for some neat magical weapons and armor. I have an NPC 3rd level fighter that walks around with a +5 bronze chain shirt. The magicalness (is that a word?) overcomes the hardness problem most of the time and it is really only as effective as regular plate mail.

Remove ads