• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Bronze Warder MALFUNCTION, MALFUNCTION..

frankthedm

First Post
Interesting - in similar fashion to your 'somehow' option, assuming no boots, he could move east and not push 1, then move east and push 1 west and not push 2, then move east and push 2 west and 3 northwest.

-Hyp.
You really feel not pushing a smaller creature is an option during the rampage? I kinda think it sounds compulsory.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
You really feel not pushing a smaller creature is an option during the rampage? I kinda think it sounds compulsory.

PHB p57: "If a hit grants you the ability to compel the target to move, whether through forced movement or teleportation, you can move it any number of squares up to the number specified (or not move it at all, if you so choose)."

Based on the other paragraphs, there's an implicit "hit (or effect)" in there.

-Hyp.

RigaMortus2

First Post
and based on responses people have received, a square extends vertically. So the pit - from ten feet down, to above ground level - is a single occupied square that he can't enter.

-Hyp.

Say what? Where is this specified? In the Core books somewhere? Was it a CS response? If it was from CS, anyone have a link to that answer?

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Say what? Where is this specified? In the Core books somewhere? Was it a CS response? If it was from CS, anyone have a link to that answer?

From memory, people were asking CS about 3D effects of bursts, etc - how far up does a fireball extend, and so on - and were told that basically your Burst template is lines drawn on the ground, and anything inside that perimeter is in the burst regardless of altitude.

But like I say, it's from memory, so I could have the details garbled.

And like I say further, it doesn't seem to gel with places in the rules which use 'square' as a vertical measure.

-Hyp.

BeauNiddle

First Post
PHB p57: "If a hit grants you the ability to compel the target to move, whether through forced movement or teleportation, you can move it any number of squares up to the number specified (or not move it at all, if you so choose)."

Based on the other paragraphs, there's an implicit "hit (or effect)" in there.

-Hyp.

Yes but the specific effect we're talking about is a movement based one. If you voluntarily give up the push effect then it's not legal to stand in that position (even if you intend to move further on the next step) so I'd rule that by voluntarily giving up the push you are voluntarily ending your movement (or at least you'll have to pick a different direction to move in).

According to the rules for immediate interrupts it appears you are meant to consider movement on a square by square basis.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Yes but the specific effect we're talking about is a movement based one. If you voluntarily give up the push effect then it's not legal to stand in that position (even if you intend to move further on the next step) so I'd rule that by voluntarily giving up the push you are voluntarily ending your movement (or at least you'll have to pick a different direction to move in).

The Warder has an ability that allows him to move through an enemy's square, just not end his movement there... just like someone can normally move through an ally's square but not end his movement there.

INEXORABLE MOVEMENT: The bronze warder can move through a smaller creature's space, but it cannot end its movement in an occupied space.

So when he moves the first square and doesn't push Enemy 1, he is not ending his movement or voluntarily occupying an illegal square; it is legal for him to occupy that square as long as he has not ended his movement yet.

-Hyp.

Last edited:

Shabe

First Post
Surely the whole point of whether he uses the boots or not is moot, he uses the boots which makes the square where the warder is standing illegal for him to stand in, you then move the warder back to the last legal square but all the prior movement and actions have still happened.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Surely the whole point of whether he uses the boots or not is moot, he uses the boots which makes the square where the warder is standing illegal for him to stand in, you then move the warder back to the last legal square but all the prior movement and actions have still happened.

Right. Anyone he pushed is still pushed, even though he's been moved back to somewhere he couldn't push them from.

-Hyp.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads