BrOp's Age of Worms Adventure Path (OOC)

Knight Otu

First Post
[sblock]was just looking over the character sheet for Meldain when a thought came to me. How he feel about this adventure in the Whispering Cairn? From your description of him he seems to have gotten by on his reflexes and his charm most of this life. His charm hasn't helped much so far, although his reflexes certainly have kept his bacon out of the fire. Is it exciting enough yet for him? Does he want more, or is he learning his limits?
I also saw that he learned elven. Did he leave town or did he learn that in Diamond Lake? The only elves in Diamond Lake are Ellival Moonmeadow and his followers who run a mine for the government of the city of Sharn. They almost always keep themselves, so why would they have associated with a young human trickster and con-man such as yourself? Have you worked for them, or did you simply make friends with one of them? The younger of Moonmeadow's elves have been known to frequent the Emporium's dreamlily parlor, Lazare's House (a gaming house), or Venelle's (a bowmaker with some elven blood). Could you have met them in one of these places? If it's the first location, have you tried dreamlily, or might you even be addicted, or a dealer? Drugs are obviously not an easy topic, but I just thought I'd throw them out there. After all, Meldain in Chaotic Neutral, which means that he almost always puts his own needs first.
Speaking of his alignment, how does this influence his relationship with the other PCs? Does he merely see them as stepping stones to greater wealth and glory, or does he actually care about them? If he had the chance to rip them off, would he do it? How does he feel about other PCs taking leadership roles? Does he want to be in charge, or does he merely not want other people telling him what to do? I'm just speculating here based on the alignment you've assigned to him.[/sblock]
[sblock]Meldain is certainly learning that he has limits, though he would not admit it in front of the others. He's just as likely to forget those limits again. For now, the memories of the crashing corridor are still fresh in his mind, and if he had any doubts about the stability of a corridor, he'd think twice about entering it. Unless there's a huge mystery or promise of riches, though, as with the corridor with the hole, where he still was uneasy.
I did not know that there are so few elves in Diamond Lake when I wrote my character sheet. Given that, he should propably know a different language. However, trying drugs may be something Meldain might do in his youthful ignorance. I'm not quite sure which direction to go here. He did leave town for some forays into the surroundings, but it is unlikely that he could have learned Elven there.
Meldain doesn't like being bossed around, and at times he might try to direct people to do stuff he thinks is more exciting, and more likely to bring the group forward (as seen in the case of the sarcophagus and the convenient hole in the ground). He does care about his friends, and would try to check for traps where it is suspicious. If that gives him a chance to add a coin or two to his share, it's an added bonus.
[/sblock]

Someone

Adventurer
Branding Opportunity said:
Someone:[sblock]I've been thinking that it might be interesting to give Rial a bit more of a backstory, and flesh him out a bit more. Have you had any thoughts in this direction? Warlock powers are obviously not run of the mill, not even in a magic-rich world like Eberron. They are definitely dark stuff, and would probably cause quite a bit of distress when they first appeared.

When do you think they first appeared for Rial? How did they appear? In dreams? Did he have a near-death experience? Did he discover them while sitting on the john? Was he taken and tortured by servants of the Dragon Below? Did he have a traumatic encounter during the last few years of the war? Did he get to close to a Khyber dragonshard? On the subject, did they powers just "come to you" or did you seek them out? If you looked for them, why did you do that? For revenge? For power? I often see warlock powers kinda like Dark Jedi powers if that helps you at all.

Here's another thought. There's a pretty good chance that you've had run-ins with members of the Church of the Silver Flame. They have a pretty big presence in Diamond Lake, and you could have figured out pretty quickly that they would not see you and your powers in a very good light. Also the followers of the Silver Flame are a pretty radical and fanatical bunch who literally whip themselves into a holy frenzy as a way of purifying their souls (yeah, they're a fun bunch). What is your history and current relationship with these folks? Do they know what you are? If so, why haven't they tried to bring you to the light (at best) or lynch you (at worst)?

Just some thoughts. If you feel like adding more to Rial's background feel free to either post it here on in the Rogue's Gallery for this thread.[/sblock]

[sblock]I´ve thinking on that since you posted, and I´d like to wait somemore until something interesting on that comes to my mind. However, I´ve always had some vague ideas about Rial; oneof them is that his powers come from some his family (his mother) did; that he knows that his abilities are dark stuff, but he doesn´t think on them as unnatural or frightening. After all, being able to use them at will, I´m sure he grew used to them quickly, whithout worying about them being corrupting or something.

Since the other characters didn´t worried or even flinched when he used Spider walk the first time, it seems that Rial has had the power for a quite long time, maybe manifesting it since he was a child. I imagine his mother encouraged him to use them.

Also I´ve made Rial had sudden changes in humor, almost as if he had a vision. Maybe the dark power within is corrosive in the long run.

About the Silver Flame folk, it´s a good idea. I´ll think something about them in the future.[/sblock]

D20Dazza

Explorer
Hey Knight, Fixit tossed Meldain's knives back to him when he exited the room so if he didn't catch them they're either at his feet or imbedded in his limbs somewhere ;)

Cheers

Daz

Hmm, well if we've truly lost lotuseater then the party now has no cleric. I'll NPC him a bit more (a week, let's say) before trying to find a replacement or writing the dwarf out of the story.

BrOp

Bront

The man with the probe
BO, your current player links aren't quite right, (Lotus Eaters particularly goes to Cadnide's character), and probably should point to the RG instead of the OOC thread anyway. Just a minor point :)

Remove ads