Brute Strike. Crit. Uh oh.

So last session a dragonborn fighter used Brute Strike on an opponent. That does 3[w] damage + Strength bonus to an opponent, in his case 3d12 + whatever. He also got an extra die because the greataxe is a high crit weapon, but I assume the extra die is not automatically maximized.

So, I let him do 36 + bonuses with damage. Should he have only maxed out one die, and rolled the rest?

Stormtalon

First Post
No, no, you did it right. Base weapon/power damage is what gets maxed, so it would indeed be 3x12 + bonus +1d12 (rolled) on a crit.

Dailies are ugly when they crit, for sure.

erik_the_guy

First Post
No. You maximize all three dice. You also maximize any other dice rolls that occur when a player makes a critical hit, such as sneak attack, ranger's quarry, or the 1d6 area of effect damage from a lightning weapon's daily power.

You do not maximize bonus dice that occur when you make a critical hit, such as the bonus 1d6 damage dealt by the same lightning weapon whenever it scores a critical, or the bonus 1d12 dealt with a great axe when it scores a critical hit. I think that all magic weapons deal bonus dice on a critical hit

As you can see, a critical hit with a magical high crit weapon on a 3[W] attack will deal a massive amount of damage!

rob626

First Post
I ran my first 4ed game last night and the biggest shocker for me was the huge amount of damage players were dishing out even at 1st level. Yes, it is proportional to how many hp the critters have but when the fighter slashed for 30+ damage and the Ranger hit just about every round for 25+ .... Let's just say it took some mental adjustment!

Tony Vargas

Legend
Yep, 36 + bonuses + the extra die for crit. He only gets to do that once per day, and it was just luck he got a crit on it. (Remember, in 3e, an 18 STR character critting with a great axe did 3d12+18 (or +14 if the DM was a stickler for stacking multipliers) - no limitted resources required.)

Whether add-ons like HQ or (especially) Sneak Attack (which is added /after/ damage is determined) get maxxed is debateable, but probably won't ruin things whichever way you rule.

Last edited:

There are rogue powers in high paragon low epic that do 7(w)... even if it is only a dagger 7x4=28....if it is a rapiair 1d8 that doubles..plus sneak attack (if able) and crit become wildly powerful...a player in my sunday group has a +3 Vicious Katar, and a daily called Snake’s Retreat ,Requirement: You must be wielding a crossbow, a light blade, or a sling. Target: One creature Attack: Dexterity vs. AC, Hit: 6[W] + Dexterity modifier damage.

he crit with it on his first use of it...6x6=36+dex(6)+ sneak att 18 + 1D6 high crit +3D12 it was over 90 pts of damage... and I feel I forgot something

Blackbrrd

First Post
I remember critting with my 10th level barbarian(1) cleric(9) in 3.0... He was all pumped and did 104 damage. (Great axe 3d12+2xgazillion).

I think the damage/crits work out very well in 4th edition. You aren't likely to get a solo/elite critted right down, but it might happen to a regular monster. Usually it works out at 3-5 hits per monster.

Remove ads