D&D 5E Build a juggernaut

Vitor Bastos

Explorer
How would you guys build a juggernaut? Some thoughts:
  • Main features: Big damage. Can tank some hits. Strikes fear into his foes, intimidate his own party members. Muscles, but can also use his brain and social skills to overcome problems.
  • Popular Characters to inspire: Thanos, Kratos, Arthas (Warcraft), Hulk, Geralt (The Witcher), Kenpachi Zaraki (Bleach), Thor (Marvel), Reinhardt (Overwatch), Venom, Shao Kahn (Mortal Kombat), Achilles, Hercules, Leonidas...
  • Melee Classes that could fit the role: Paladin, Barbarian or Fighter.
  • Races: Dragonborn, Half-orc, Goliath, Orc or Human.
  • Alignment: Chaotic neutral
  • Feats: ?
  • Background: ?

delph

Explorer
thinking about:
Goliath Barbarian
maximum to CON, then STR.
resistance to nonmagical dmg
medium armor + shield (it's hard to beat medium armor wit unarmored defense)

Background - entertainer varinat gladiator
feats:
Defensive duelant (hightened AC - you can just stay on place, noone can hit you)
Tough: more hitpoints (but ASI to Con do it almost same and give you better CON saves)

Horwath

Legend
Halforc fighter(champion).
1st feat heavy armor mastery
sword&bord, Defense fighting style.

With full plate AC 21, reduced damage by 3.
10% chance for crit that does 3d8+str damage

that is all at 4th level.

Salthorae

Imperial Mountain Dew Taster
5e doesn't really do "punchy" strong characters, so many of your examples are not really useful for a 5e "juggernaut" build.

Barbarian (Ancestral Guardian) is very tank/lockdown. Especially with the resistance to damage from barbarian and the ability to not drop when you go to 0.

To gain skills NON-combat I would use a background to do it. You could be a Hermit who has Insight and Medicine and Herbalism kit. Or Acolyte or heck even Entertainer.

You could be the tribe's skald (Entertainer/Sage combination) loremaster with the History & Performance Skills, an instrument and the Entertainer Feature to let you perform your tribe's ancient epics in taverns across the land, spreading the name and renown of your tribe, who also draws on the Ancestors to fuel their combat ability and protect the tribe from harm (Ancestral guardian).

aco175

Legend
If you are building a juggernaut, are you really looking to spend anything on social skills? You are going to need to cut out some sort of damage to do it.

Salthorae

Imperial Mountain Dew Taster
If you are building a juggernaut, are you really looking to spend anything on social skills? You are going to need to cut out some sort of damage to do it.
If that was in reply to me... I was just offering suggestions based on the OP. See below.

If that was in reply to the OP, well, it's really not that helpful.

One of his "Main Features" was
but can also use his brain and social skills to overcome problems.

Vitor Bastos

Explorer

Well, it was just a thought/suggestion. You can build the way you think its best. How you picture it. How would you do it?

aco175

Legend
I'm just saying that if you are building something to do massive damage, you put the feats and weapon choices into damage and not things like history and persuasion. When the OP said Hulk I thought big and green over Bruce Banner. I know he referenced other people such as Thanos which can be argued over, but that was not my intent.

Remove ads