Build a quarterstaff fighter

szilard

First Post
Sadrik said:
Its a wash. Lowers flurry penalty by 1 but they dont get +1 BAB at that level. and the +1 AC is nice but he might be wearing armor unless I can figure out a better way without the penalty.

I almost always use fractional BAB and Save bonuses, in which case it would make a real difference.

Weapon specialization is nice but it requires two feats (WF and WS) to get +2 damage.

If you are flurrying, remember that you're getting that extra damage more often. I think it is probably worth it.

-Stuart

Sejs

First Post
Sadrik said:
Powerattack - wraithstrike - flurry - two handed - two weapon fighting - seems pretty good...

Or heedless charge - leap attack route would be fine. Suggestions?

Avoid Wraithstrike. Seriously.

It's the Mordenkainen's Disjunction of the melee world.

It's mutually assured destruction waiting to happen.

Unkabear

First Post
and the +1 AC is nice but he might be wearing armor unless I can figure out a better way without the penalty.

Unless it has been changed in the Errata (I havn't gone over it in a while) A monk loses his flurry if he is in ANY armor

SRD
Flurry of Blows (Ex): When unarmored, a monk may strike with a flurry of blows at the expense of accuracy. When doing so, she may make one extra attack in a round at her highest base attack bonus, but this attack takes a –2 penalty, as does each other attack made that round. The resulting modified base attack bonuses are shown in the Flurry of Blows Attack Bonus column on Table: The Monk. This penalty applies for 1 round, so it also affects attacks of opportunity the monk might make before her next action. When a monk reaches 5th level, the penalty lessens to –1, and at 9th level it disappears. A monk must use a full attack action to strike with a flurry of blows.

When using flurry of blows, a monk may attack only with unarmed strikes or with special monk weapons (kama, nunchaku, quarterstaff, sai, shuriken, and siangham). She may attack with unarmed strikes and special monk weapons interchangeably as desired. When using weapons as part of a flurry of blows, a monk applies her Strength bonus (not Str bonus x 1-1/2 or x 1/2) to her damage rolls for all successful attacks, whether she wields a weapon in one or both hands. The monk can’t use any weapon other than a special monk weapon as part of a flurry of blows.

In the case of the quarterstaff, each end counts as a separate weapon for the purpose of using the flurry of blows ability. Even though the quarterstaff requires two hands to use, a monk may still intersperse unarmed strikes with quarterstaff strikes, assuming that she has enough attacks in her flurry of blows routine to do so.

When a monk reaches 11th level, her flurry of blows ability improves. In addition to the standard single extra attack she gets from flurry of blows, she gets a second extra attack at her full base attack bonus.

So if you are looking at adding any armor then avoid the Monk rout and go Cleric. They are suggesting a nice build there.

szilard

First Post
Unkabear said:
Unless it has been changed in the Errata (I havn't gone over it in a while) A monk loses his flurry if he is in ANY armor

Although a Ranger/Monk build could do well without armor, as long as you are building the character on a decent number of points.

Boost Wisdom and Dex. Get stat boosting items for each of them. Get a Monk's Belt (for an additional +1). Pick up Bracers of Armor (or have someone cast Mage Armor on you). Get a Wand of Barkskin.

-Stuart

Sadrik

First Post
Zaruthustran said:
Go cleric. Shillalagh + spikes + power attack + divine might + righteous might + divine power is just... killer.
I agree that this cleric would be very powerful. But you know what I think I would like to build a less spell buff oriented character for the staff wacker...

Sadrik

First Post
Unkabear said:

So if you are looking at adding any armor then avoid the Monk rout and go Cleric. They are suggesting a nice build there.
Yeah the cleric build is nice. So this guy will be armorless.

Sadrik

First Post
Sejs said:
Avoid Wraithstrike. Seriously.

It's the Mordenkainen's Disjunction of the melee world.

It's mutually assured destruction waiting to happen.
Agreed, nice sentiment. Do to others what you would want others to do to you.

Sadrik

First Post
Classes:
Ranger 2
Fighter 2
Monk 4
Tempest 5
Exotic Weapon Master 1 (flurry of strikes)

Using the Longstaff

Feats:
H Improved bull rush
R Track
R 2 weapon fighting
M Stunning Fist
M Combat Reflexes
F Power Attack
F Leap Attack
1 WF Staff
3 Dodge
6 Shock trooper
9 Mobility
12 Spring Attack

W/ BAB +13
So, full attack routine would be:
10/10/10/10/5/0 (add strength and magic on top of this)

with haste:
11/11/11/11/11/6/1 (add strength and magic on top of this)

If all attacks hit:
6d6+ strength and magic.

If both attacks hit.
With a heedless leap attack:
2d6+78 add strength and magic twice.

Last edited:

javcs

First Post
For pure cheese, with unarmored and quarterstaff - Vow of Poverty.
Odds are it'll be frowned upon.

Just remember that once you stop taking monk levels, you can't take any more without spending one or more feats.

Remove ads