Build a quarterstaff fighter

Sadrik

First Post
I was thinking of building a level 14 melee type focusing on fighting with a quarterstaff. Any suggestions?

Feats
two-weapon fighting
Two-weapon defense
powerattack

What else?

Classes:
Fighter 2
Ranger 2
Rogue 3
Warblade?
Swordsage?
PrCs?

Blightersbane

First Post
Seth from the Beast Master type? Lil' John from Robin Hood (Kevin Costners version)
Non spell caster? Some additional build info may be needed such as magicks etc.

For feats, abilities, damage
1) 8 Fighter / 6 Ranger
good saves, best BAB, good feats

2) 4 Fighter / 2 Psychic Warrior / 2 Ranger / 6th Monk
great saves, good feats, good BAB

Blightersbane

Iku Rex

Explorer
Which books can you use?

And as Blightersbane suggested, some more info on the concept you had in mind (beyond "uses a quarterstaff") would be helpful.

Sadrik

First Post
I am looking for the best possible combo. So spells and buffs would be fine by me.

Monk seems like a good choice though because you can flurry with a quarterstaff right... Its a monk weapon.

So what about:
Fighter 2
Ranger 2
Monk 4

That gives a BAB of +7
And leaves 6 open levels left of something. What?

BTW how does strength work when fighting with a double weapon? How much strength is applied to each end of the stick?

Sadrik

First Post
Powerattack - wraithstrike - flurry - two handed - two weapon fighting - seems pretty good...

Or heedless charge - leap attack route would be fine. Suggestions?

mikebr99

Explorer
You could be a 14th level Cleric... with all the two-weapon fighting feats and cast Shillelagh first, and then Spikes (SC).

Both heads would receive:
+2 enhancement to attack
+10 enhancement to damage
doubled threat range

This would probably work even better with a Sacred Fist.

Mike

szilard

First Post
Sadrik said:
I am looking for the best possible combo. So spells and buffs would be fine by me.

Monk seems like a good choice though because you can flurry with a quarterstaff right... Its a monk weapon.

So what about:
Fighter 2
Ranger 2
Monk 4

That gives a BAB of +7
And leaves 6 open levels left of something. What?

BTW how does strength work when fighting with a double weapon? How much strength is applied to each end of the stick?

Start off with Ranger for the extra skill points.

If you are going to go Monk 4, you might as well go Monk 5 - your Flurry penalty will be reduced by 1, you'll get immunity to disease, and you'll get a +1 bonus to AC when unarmored.

You want Fighter 4, so you can get weapon specialization (useful with Flurry).

That is 10 levels.

I'd take 4 more levels of Ranger. This would get you to Improved Two-Weapon Fighting and allow you to cast some 1st level Ranger spells (which can be pretty useful). You'd also get some other Ranger benefits (and an animal companion).

So:

Ranger 6/Fighter 4/Monk 5

that leaves you over by one level, but it gives you something to work toward.

-Stuart

Sadrik

First Post
szilard said:
If you are going to go Monk 4, you might as well go Monk 5 - your Flurry penalty will be reduced by 1, you'll get immunity to disease, and you'll get a +1 bonus to AC when unarmored.
Its a wash. Lowers flurry penalty by 1 but they dont get +1 BAB at that level. and the +1 AC is nice but he might be wearing armor unless I can figure out a better way without the penalty.
szilard said:
You want Fighter 4, so you can get weapon specialization (useful with Flurry).
Weapon specialization is nice but it requires two feats (WF and WS) to get +2 damage.

In complete adventurer there is a longstaff weapon that is a "monk weapon" does this mean it is on the monks weapon list?

Longstaff could be the way to go though...

Quick staff style feat could be a good option with the longstaff.

Tempest is also a pretty neat PrC for this build.

Sadrik

First Post
Exotic weapon master ability- flurry of strikes... Does it stack with flurry of blows?

If the longstaff is an exotic weapon it talks about using it in one hand. how does this work with the exotic weapon master ability- Uncanny Blow?

Remove ads